Off to Sparta, IL...Mid July! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
RB
Sage

Off to Sparta, IL...Mid July!

Well it looks like I get to see the Nationals at Sparta IL this year, via my son's SCTP JV team's second place finish at States in Danville last weekend.

We meet on Monday to go over details of our trip, and short of the 12 hour drive out and back, we are very exicted. But hey we never seen that part of the country via car anyway so we should get our fill of it , LOL . Looking forward to it all and hanging with the good folks involved in this again.

For a bunch of youth shooters they sure make alot of clay dust, watching all the kids shoot trap at the HS meets and these competitions has BY FAR become my very favorite spectator sport in 2 short years of involvement and the couple times I took the line with them in practice tells me I am a better spectator then trap shooter

Good news, Lil Joe has taken an interest this past year so I may get to do this all over again. He actaully had 2 shotguns picked out with the vendors at States...but we stuck to getting him a Browning buckmark hat and USMC logo shooting towel. He hopes to shoot sub Jr next year at 10 years old. We got a left handed/right eye dominant thing to work on.

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 08:23 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Off to Sparta, IL...Mid July!

Congrats to your shooters. Tomorrow is the SCTP Sporting Clays Shoot at Hunting Hills.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 02:38 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

In an age of universal lies, speaking the truth is a revolutionary act - George Orwell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 06:13 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

treerat sniper, what did you think of those targets at Hunting Hills?

Roger Beardsley
Head Coach, Mason-Dixon Clay Busters
www.masondixonclaybusters.com
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 11:36 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I was not able to get the time off work. Went to Kentucky for Nationals in Archery with my son school last month. But judgeing by the scores my three kids shot. There must have been some real hard one's. When I see the boy's that went I will find out more.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 11:09 AM
Frequent Contributor

RB, Congrats to you guys ......
Our littlest team made the cut & is heading out to Sparta with individual shooters...
Our other teams well... Lets say they had better day(s)...
That's quite a drive... & it's usually scorching out there...
Get some of those neck coolers & plenty of ice!
Good luck
Oc
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
RB
Sage

Hey thanks oilcrk for the good sdvice, just saw this...time to update it.

We are shoving off at 4AM tomorrow for Sparta. I will take some pics to share with all the HPA claybusters. With this country's current climate on guns and kids, it will be a refreshing thing to see for many of us I figure.

I think some of us Dad's are shooting the sporting clay course while we are there. Just for fun...

Roger, you are going to out there with some M-D teams are you not?? I "met" a friend of yours this week here at work and he mentioned your name, he coaches sporting clays out that way and said he knew you.

Anyway...Sparta or bust tomorrow, or maybe I should say Sparta TO bust tomorrow... Safe travels all, good luck on the line.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 07:58 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Good Luck
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
RB
Sage

Well I hope to post some pics...but our SCTP JV team took 10 th place at nationals in the high school division with a scroe of 903/100. They had a few Saturday they would want back, but Sunday were nothing short of incredible...

When you compare these 5 10th graders (4 guys, 1 girl) from the same high school, same gun club and same small little NW PA town and compare them to some of these high grading teams and come up tenth...your pride level rises about 20 times. It was an incredible experience and raises your hope in this country watching thousands of people gather to wathc their kids shoot, then think about each of those teams having leagues just like us back home...I NEEDED THAT, and to Coach Curt, I owe you alot not only for these trips, but for what you have done for John and all you and the Mrs do for trips like this.

I say we hunt some pheasants with all these kids come fall...that one is ON ME THANKS COACH!!!

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 10:38 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Back from Nationals...
Wow what a week!!! I want to thank all the parents who attended for all of their help and support. We had a few hiccups but overall everything went very well. I thought the new SCTP management did a great job with the event and I look forward to working with them in the future.

I was very proud of our kids. We shot some great scores, met some new friends, and took home a few awards. Letís start planning for next year!!! Below are a few pics from the trip.

Click here for additional pics located on our website

Roger Beardsley
Head Coach, Mason-Dixon Clay Busters
www.masondixonclaybusters.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page