Shot my first round of trap yesterday - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Shot my first round of trap yesterday

Well i shot my first round of trap yesterday. I am not a wing hunter but turkey season made me think more about getting to know my shotgun better. I was meeting some friends for carp fishing and they talked me into shooting a round.

I had a blast. I never realized how much you have to lead targets. I realized i was more or less point shooting. Once i would get to where i wanted to shoot I would stop, tough habbit to break i guess. I ended up with a 17 out of 25 and was happy with that. I think i might start practicing with them more often.

Any pointers for someone just starting out?

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 07:02 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Shot my first round of trap yesterday

i guess you already realized the stopping your gun will pretty much almost always cause a miss, gotta follow thru.

Other thing that messed me up when I first started was I was using differnt loads, different guns, etc. I personally believe in trap, and wingshooting game, find the right choke, and round that you like, and don't change it. If you keep the equipment and the load the same, then it's all on you!! The gun and load will shoot pretty much consistant. Most suggest a full choke shooting trap, as if you pattern a gun with a mod, there are lost of holes in the pattern, making a possible miss, even if your dead on the target. Full choke it can happen too, unless you do what most trap guys do and spend thousands on getting barrel work done, but since your just starting, i'm guessing your using a pump, or older shotgun, and I peronally wouldn't be upset shooting a 17, first time out.

Hang around some trap clubs, you will find 95% of the guys there are terrific, and more than willing to help out a new shooter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page