Remington 11-87 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Remington 11-87

I have a chance to buy a lightly used 11-87 for a good price. Anyone have long term experience (reliability) with this shotgun? I'll use it mostly for sporting clays and occaisonal trap shooting.

TR

Fire Up the Grill! Hunting is not Catch and Release!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 10:50 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Remington 11-87

I've owned one since the early 90's and I love it! It's a very good shotgun. I'll use my wingmaster 870 20 gauge for grouse since it's lighter and easier to get off a fast shot but other than that I'll have the 11-87 for everything else.

The horizon is your starting point.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 01:14 AM

From what I've read, the orings will blow out in it but are cheap and easy to replace. There was a thread here not to long ago.

2D hunter.
Sponsored by myself - PROSTAFF.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 09:57 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

A couple different types of 11-87's. I would say if it's a "sportsman", stay away, just a cheap version. If it's the "sporting clays" , I had one years ago, ran into a money problem, sold it, regret it to this day. The last version is the "special purpose", I have two of these, one is twenty years old, and my main hunting gun, the other is about 9 years old, and a back up gun.

I shot trap with my original SP for a few years, and I did have some problems with it, but don't really think those guns were made for 100-150 rounds a week. There was no huge problems, piston broke, O-ring here or there, parts were easily ordered direct from Remington, and replaced at home. It's a gas operated gun, so I think that when I put the "shell catcher" on the side, so it wouldn't eject shells out and hit the next shooter over, it may have messed with it somehow, but that's just my thoughts, no one had ever told me that.

Since I bought a trap gun, I don't shoot the 11-87 too much for trap anymore, and just use in hunting situations, and have not had any problems.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 07:09 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have a 11-87 premier , it functions flawlessly during a long day of sporting clays. Just gotta make sure you clean it good after a day of shooting. I've yet to blow out a o-ring
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 03:34 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

capt., I forgot about that version, most of those are real great looking guns as well. I had the sporting clays, don't think they made them that long, nicest looking wood I have ever seen on a gun.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 07:32 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Very good gun for the price. Keep it clean and dry, do not soak it with lube and leave it that way. The gas and burnt powder residue are what cause malfunctions and tear up the O-ring.

In an age of universal lies, speaking the truth is a revolutionary act - George Orwell
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 01:57 AM
Frequent Contributor

I got very lucky on the buy on my premier. My buddy's fiancÚ 's dad wanted to get rid of one. I looked at it and it was flawless with hard case and box. Got it for 300$! My favorite gun I have.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 12:04 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You should have been arrested for buying that thing for $300, you downright stole it!!!

Stacks advice about not putting lubricant on, I will second. clean it, let it dry, and put it back together, that's what they like.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 02:15 AM
Frequent Contributor

I agree. Keep em clean, let em dry.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page