How to neutralize box of 209 primers - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

One of the officers at my local gun club told me to dump 'em in the club's burn barrel.....but don't tell the guy who loves to burn stuff in it.
bohunr and Dogface like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 10:48 AM

when i was in my 20's i accidentally put some 30-30 shells in the burn barrel. i was cleaning out my room and grabbed some papers and stuff to burn, apparently the shells were in this pile. anyway...they blew up, just like a firecracker not like in the movies where the bullets go flying in all directions.

that wont happen. they are not in a barrel, so they just go BANG. i am positive the primers will just go bang too...no harm.
Steeltrap likes this.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

The only time I've read where ammo that is not "in the chamber" but left in a tubular magazine (think 30-30 Winchester) becomes dangerous is if a fire occurs and the rounds get hot enough to cause the powder to burn. Apparently the mag tube may be enough to send a projectile flying. Likely destroy the mag tube.......but still.

Then again.....I guess the only reason to leave ammo in a tube like that is in case a bad guy get's in the house......one rack and your loaded.
bohunr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 09:05 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have a burn barrel that's what I'd do with them.How were they stored ten years is not long enough for primers to go bad.
Dogface likes this.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 04:22 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The 10 year old age of the primers doesn't matter. Primers/powder, if kept dry and you avoid temperature extremes have a shelf life over 50 years. You may have just had a bad batch of primers.
BrowningFan369 likes this.

In an age of universal lies, speaking the truth is a revolutionary act - George Orwell
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 04:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunr View Post
when i was in my 20's i accidentally put some 30-30 shells in the burn barrel. i was cleaning out my room and grabbed some papers and stuff to burn, apparently the shells were in this pile. anyway...they blew up, just like a firecracker not like in the movies where the bullets go flying in all directions.

that wont happen. they are not in a barrel, so they just go BANG. i am positive the primers will just go bang too...no harm.
When I was a whole lot younger and dumber my cousin and I threw a few .22 long rifle shells in a fire. When they blew, it was the casings that took off making a weird noise as they flew threw the air not the projectile because they were lighter in weight. We were lucky one of us didn't get hit.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 09:42 PM

my dad told me once that his dad and uncle were traveling home from work together and were coming thru Shamokin Dam on rt 11 - 15 , it was shut down due to a sporting good store fire , all the ammunition was going off from the fire. never rebuilt it after that

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in