looking to get a new shotgun - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

looking to get a new shotgun

I'm looking for experienced input on a new shotgun. My budget is $1100 and I'm looking for strictly a clay sports gun. I have a Browning gold hunter now that I use to hunt with and shoot well. I'm thinking of staying with a semi but getting a longer barrel then 26".I've considered an o/u like a franchi instinct or a CZ but read the $1000 o/u guns won't hold up to clay sports. I'm looking for reliability and longevity out of this purchase and also looking to buy new not used. Any input you have is appreciated thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 10:29 AM

Here is three suggestions I would have Remington 1100, Benelli Montefeltro sport. Its tough to get into a O/U for your price but I think that CZ would be ok if you're not shooting a ton.I like the Franchi instinct but I think their sporting model is out of your price range. I think a big factor is how much you're going to be shooting realistic? 100rounds to 500 rounds a year? 1000 to 2000 rounds a year? 10,000 rounds a year? If this is going to be a dedicated sporting gun then I would make sure I get a sporting/target model gun and not settle for a field model. If you're shooting A LOT then a gun in this price range probably isn't going to hold up long term, but I think for the casual shooter they'll be fine. Every gun gets worn and even the most expensive guns need work from time to time if you're shooting a good volume.

Remington® Model 1100? Competition Synthetic Shotgun : Cabela's

Benelli Montefeltro Sporting Semiautomatic Shotgun : Cabela's

CZ-USA Redhead Premier Target Over & Under Shotgun : Cabela's
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I'd be considered casual at 2-3000 rounds a year most likely shooting a couple weekends a month year round weather pending.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Having something that I'd be able to hunt with would be a plus. I looked at the Remington 1100 competition and I think I'd prefer to stay with a walnut stock. They're definitely more appealing to the eye.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 480handcannon View Post
Having something that I'd be able to hunt with would be a plus. I looked at the Remington 1100 competition and I think I'd prefer to stay with a walnut stock. They're definitely more appealing to the eye.
I think they do make the 1100 in a wood stock with a high gloss finish but it doesn't have all the adjustments and stuff. You can always add adjustable comb and recoil pad at a later time if you want. I have a gold hunter just like you but I've never found it to be ideal for clays and have had some malfunction problems.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I really like my gold but I agree its not an ideal clays gun. I've never had a reliability issue with mine.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 12:12 PM

I was really having an issue with my gold a while back but I think it may have been a bad case of ammo I got (Federal Top Gun). I was at a charity sporting clays shoot and I was getting jams probably every 5-10 rounds and had to switch to using the loaner guns. I since switched to RIO and haven't had nearly as many issues but still a malfunction once in a blue moon. I honestly don't like a semi for clays shooting and I'm looking to get an O/U some day but it's hard to get a good one for under $2k.

Grice sometimes has some good deals on demo O/U in their scratch and dent section. I wouldn't have any problem buying a demo gun personally. They mostly have Browning, Winchester, SKB. Probably not $1100 but if you stretch a little bit to $1300-$1400 I think you may be able to get a nice deal.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 11:34 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

480, welcome to the world of clays! As some have already said, an $1100 O/U will not hold up shooting the volume of rounds we do in clay games. 2000-3000 per year and the $1100 O/U may last 4-5 years. Being a range owner I see a lot of shotguns. The reason we don't see too many of the inexpensive guns is simple, they don't last. Franchi and Weatherby make semis that you might be interested in and they can be had in your price range. If you bite the proverbial bullet and go for a Beretta, Benelli, Fabarm,Remington, etc, it will last you many, many years. I have 1100s and 11-87s that I used extensively 25 years ago and they are still plugging along. If you choose to go with an O/U, if you can, spend the $$ and buy quality. My first O/U was a Tri-Star Sporting Model.. Shot the life out of it in 2 years. Then I bought a Browning 425 in 1996 and have put 100,000 + rounds through it. Only regular maintenance (springs,occasional firing pin, good cleaning) are needed to keep quality guns running for generations. My son has this gun now. Best wishes on your quest for "The Gun"!!

In an age of universal lies, speaking the truth is a revolutionary act - George Orwell

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page