Fiber wads - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chester County, PA
Posts: 11,473
Back To Top
Fiber wads

Been hearing some stuff on switching to fiber wads, overshot cards and such for reloading. Anyone doing this type of reloading setup for trap, skeet or hunting? I would like to take a look at it just out of general curiosity to see how the reloading process works, any testing or experience in terms of down range effects on targets. And, naturally, how about cost compared to the plastic shot cup. I now have a MEC 600 Jr and reload 12 ga with plastic shot cups.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
jimsdad is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 03:51 PM
The Man
 
Dogface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Sullivan County or SEPA
Posts: 8,595
Back To Top
I do not know anyone who does not use plastic shot cups.

Some steel shot loads call for fiber wads in the base of the plastic shot cup and overshot cards to take up space but that is it.
Dogface is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 05:53 PM
The Man
 
Dogface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Sullivan County or SEPA
Posts: 8,595
Back To Top
FYI: This months American Rifleman has an article about using fiber wads to reload SG shells.
Dogface is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 05:01 PM
Frequent Contributor
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bucks
Posts: 686
Back To Top
There is good reason they switched to one piece plastic wads.
1straightshot is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 06:35 PM
Frequent Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Central PA
Posts: 818
Back To Top
Shotshell reloading used to be a given powder charge and a shot payload. From there it was up to you to create the correct wad column that would give you the proper crimp. Over powder wad, various fibre wad thickness's to create the height nessary to get the proper crimp. That was it! Suffice it to say that there was lots of leeway!
Modern components give you tighter patterns, softer recoil and easier clean-up (no leading).
Sooo, if you want close range, open patterns.....use fibre. Fibre with a spreader insert is a close range killer! If you want long range capability, go with one piece plastic.
That's the beauty of shotshell reloading! You can load for a specific purpose.
R2D2 is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 08:32 PM
The Man
 
Dogface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Sullivan County or SEPA
Posts: 8,595
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1straightshot View Post
There is good reason they switched to one piece plastic wads.
That's for sure.
Dogface is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 08:33 PM
The Man
 
Dogface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Sullivan County or SEPA
Posts: 8,595
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Sooo, if you want close range, open patterns.....use fibre. Fibre with a spreader insert is a close range killer!

Or cut the petals off the wad.
Dogface is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 04:56 PM
Frequent Contributor
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bucks
Posts: 686
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Shotshell reloading used to be a given powder charge and a shot payload. From there it was up to you to create the correct wad column that would give you the proper crimp. Over powder wad, various fibre wad thickness's to create the height nessary to get the proper crimp. That was it! Suffice it to say that there was lots of leeway!
Modern components give you tighter patterns, softer recoil and easier clean-up (no leading).
Sooo, if you want close range, open patterns.....use fibre. Fibre with a spreader insert is a close range killer! If you want long range capability, go with one piece plastic.
That's the beauty of shotshell reloading! You can load for a specific purpose.
Just cut off the wads petals of the plastic wads. You'll get the same effect with a better powder seal and not buying and storing boxes of fiber wads..
1straightshot is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chester County, PA
Posts: 11,473
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1straightshot View Post
Just cut off the wads petals of the plastic wads. You'll get the same effect with a better powder seal and not buying and storing boxes of fiber wads..
Interesting, verrrryyy interesting indeed..........
1straightshot likes this.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
jimsdad is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 03:51 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman
 
stackbarrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE PA/3C
Posts: 3,260
Back To Top
I use both plastic wads and fiber/cardboard built up wads. I reload clay target loads and hunting loads for use in SxS shotguns. The use of fiber/cardboard will reduce pressures and open the patterns if you that's what you want. You can also use a teflon wrap to act as a shot cup to hold the shot together longer than using just fiber/cardboard. I can pretty much load anything from my .410s through my 10 bores with either style of wad, depending on what I want the gun to do. Ballistic Products and Circle Fly Wads are two sources for more info and products.

In an age of universal lies, speaking the truth is a revolutionary act - George Orwell
stackbarrel is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome