Looking for a Over/Under - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By stackbarrel
  • 1 Post By Davy Crockett

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Looking for a Over/Under

Thought I'd start here, I'm looking to purchase in the future an over/under. Looking to stay under a thousand. The gun will be taken for trap and upland hunting at times. Have the pumps and semi's but want something differrent. I have been looking at the CZ (Redhead), Pointer (1000 field), and Stevens (555). I'm staying away from Tri-star and not really sold on the Stoeger. Does anyone have any negative from the three I'm looking into, or the postive of the Stoeger (anymodel).
Thanks

LESS TALKING AND MORE HUNTING

@1PaDeerhunter for Twitter and Instagram
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 10:04 AM
Frequent Contributor

Send a message via AIM to BrowningFan369 Send a message via Yahoo to BrowningFan369
Re: Looking for a Over/Under

Do yourself a favor reconsider the Tri-Star and stay away from Stevens. If you can up your budget about 200.00 more you should be in the ball park for a nice used quality O/U like Browning or Beretta. It'll take a little looking but they are out there, I know. Checked the Classifieds there's a Citori up for $850.00 gun looks great.

Introduce a kid to the outdoors.It's addictive.
NSCA Level II Instructor
Paragon School of Sporting Professional Associate
NRA, DU,
Pheasants Forever
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 05:38 PM
Frequent Contributor

I've heard good thing about TriStar but I'd look either at a quality used shotgun or go take a look at a Winchester 101. Sold by Cabela's they go for 999.00 when on sale and they're worth every penny. Made by FN in Belgium. They are a quality shotgun. They utilize a Beretta style lockup. Uses invector Plus chokes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 11:34 PM
Frequent Contributor

You are at a distinct disadvantage shooting Trap with a field gun. The reverse is true for hunting with a trap gun. I wouldn't buy any of the 3 you are looking at. I rather have a good used Browning or Winchester 101.Charles Daly also had guns made in the Miroku plant that are a spitting image of the Winchester 101. The 20 ga. I have is appears a mirror image of my Win. in handling.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 01:15 AM
Frequent Contributor

What these guys said.
If you are on a budget, buy a used quality gun from beretta,browning or even SKB.
Stay away from the Russian and Brazilian stuff.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 08:44 AM
New Arrival

Look into an ATI Calvary. Got mine in 20 gauge brand new for 450
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 02:06 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Granted, every one has a different budget, but always, always remember, you get what you pay for. Might be better offf biting the proverbial bullet and spending $1000-$1500 on a used Beretta or Browning as those guns will last you a lifetime with proper care. The under $1000 gun will only last a few years with lots of use until it's a useless rattle trap. That said, my first O/U was a Tri-Star Sporting Clays and was a beautiful gun (back in 1995). For about 2 years. I am willing to sell it to you for $200. There would be nothing wrong with any of the 3 guns you are considering if their sole purpose is for hunting. The constant pounding of shooting clay target games will wear out a lesser quality gun very quickly.
bad primer likes this.

In an age of universal lies, speaking the truth is a revolutionary act - George Orwell

Last edited by stackbarrel; 11-11-2016 at 02:12 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 08:07 AM

What they said, buy higher even if used. Buy once cry once, quality doesn't cost, it pays.
stackbarrel likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 09:48 PM
New Arrival

I have a very nice Franchi Instinct SL Sporting 12 ga. with 30" barrels, removable Muller chokes, adj. comb, & adj. kick pad. $1500.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page