Shoot 5-stand with a pump? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Shoot 5-stand with a pump?

Does anyone shoot 5-stand with a pump shotgun? Any trick to hitting the doubles? Should I even try it. I have an Ithaca model 37 pump. I am not sure if it will slam fire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 03:36 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Shoot 5-stand with a pump?

Pump will work fine. Just might have to be a little quick for true pairs depend way they are going
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 05:08 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You can do it. Only problem shooting sporting with a pump is that due to the light weight of the gun they have a tendency to beat up shooters over the course of multiple rounds. That's why we don't recommend using them for women and children. As for a "slam fire", wouldn't recommend that as it's not conducive for breaking targets.

In an age of universal lies, speaking the truth is a revolutionary act - George Orwell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 03:28 PM

I've done it in the past, and what will more than likely happen, is you will "short stroke" your fair share of hull ejections. You try to rack that second shell in haste, and don't fully eject. Can be done though

2A-Wash. Co.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 12:35 AM
The Man

I shoot 5 stand and trap doubles with a few guys who use pumps. They do very well. The pump is not a handicap for them.

I have an older Model 37. It does not have a trigger disconnect. Mine will "slam fire". Newer Model 37s may not.

Try this. Clear your SG. Dry fire it. Do not release the trigger. Pump it. Then release the trigger and pull it. If it goes off it has a trigger disconnect. If it does not go off then it went off when you slammed the action forward and it would result in a "slam fire" if it was loaded.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 05:28 PM
Banned

If you just wanna do it to do it, go for it. I don't think many guys serious about it use pumps. Maybe that's just me though, I hate pump shotguns. Pump rifles on the other hand, love em!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 08:03 PM
Frequent Contributor

The only disadvantage of any shotgun is not being comfortable with its use. My first shotgun, 48 years ago is a model 37. It Can only be described as slick and quick. I can shoot it almost as quick as any other shotgun. Of coarse it will slam fire when I want it. Never has when not.
Of coarse there are always better tools to use for a particular job, but don't let that stop you from going out if that is the only gun you have.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page