Rt handed Shooter / Left eye dominant ? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Rt handed Shooter / Left eye dominant ?

I realatively new to trap shooting and I am a right handed shooter but left eye dominant. I have been able able to shoot with some success by closing my left eye and shooting the shotgun like a rifle. I have also tried starting with two eyes open then close the left eye just prior to shooting but that is a lot of
moving parts in a short amount of time.
Has anyone had success with the crossfire eliminator vari site or by using a spot on the shooting glasses to block out the dominant eye from taking over?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 08:55 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Rt handed Shooter / Left eye dominant ?

You can cover the dominant eye piece of your shooting glasses or as I have done shoot left handed. I am 64 and have been shooting lefthanded since a drill Sgt told me I was left eye dominant and turned me around. Yes I actually shoot better left handed so you might want to gi8ve it a try.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 01:47 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

My son is right handed but left eye dominate. We switched him at 12 and he has not looked back. If you’re new to the game, I would recommend you at least try switching to your left shoulder. If you can pull it off it will save you a ton of heartburn. If you must stay on your right try a Magic Eye Dot (http://www.morganoptical.net/magic_dot)

This is a video of my son shooting skeet last Saturday in the snow. (http://instagram.com/p/xZzETnmPE1/) If you know anything about the game of skeet you’ll know that 2 shots on low 8 means a perfect round. Again, try switching. If you can pull it off you’ll be a happy camper.

Roger Beardsley
Head Coach, Mason-Dixon Clay Busters
www.masondixonclaybusters.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 06:26 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I tried switching, and couldn't do it. Putting the gun up lefty, and looking down the barrel is amazing, but I just couldn't do it after all these years shooting right. Not only am I left eye dom. I also only have 20/40 vision in my right eye, even with glasses, so my targets are always a little blurry. I just close my left eye, and shoot. It is a disability when shooting, but I been doing it so long, i'm used to it, and can hold my own. I'm a decent shot at ducks and geese, and I shoot trap now and then. I'm not an expert at trap by any stretch, but I have got lucky and run 100 straight one time, and done a few 50 straight. But my normal average is about 22/25. I'm happy with that, i'm shooting for fun, no league or registered targets or anything.

I always wished I could shoot left handed, the targets are so clear!! That would be my first thing to tell you to try.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 08:58 PM

My youngest son was also right handed/left eye dominant and we convinced him to begin shooting left handed at fifteen. Helped his shooting right away, and he has become a good skeet shooter. It took no time at all really for him to make the right to left handed adjustment with the gun.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 09:12 PM

shoot lefthanded period...

Anybody can shoot deer on the farm ground....You earn it in the mountains.......
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 12:23 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Since you are a new shooter, learn how to shoot left handed. Simplest way to go about it. Avoid the dot, chap stick, etc on the glasses. Your brain will find a way to "look around" the obstruction and you'll be back at square 1 with a whole new set of issues.

In an age of universal lies, speaking the truth is a revolutionary act - George Orwell
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 11:53 AM
Frequent Contributor

Send a message via AIM to BrowningFan369 Send a message via Yahoo to BrowningFan369

Good advise from Stack and others, Swicth if you can.

Introduce a kid to the outdoors.It's addictive.
NSCA Level II Instructor
Paragon School of Sporting Professional Associate
NRA, DU,
Pheasants Forever
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 01:39 AM

I am left eye dominant. I do everything right handed except shoot a long gun. When I started shooting I shot right handed on got really frustrated because I couldn't hold a group. My dad suggested I try shooting left handed and I haven't looked back. If you can switch now you won't be sorry. Good luck.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 01:09 PM

I'm right-handed AND right-eye dominant but I grew up learning to shoot from either side...probably because my dad was a lefty. I prefer to shoot long guns left-handed and do so 95% of the time. I find that I have much better control of the shotgun or rifle supporting it with my right-hand. I do prefer a tang safety on my guns though. I shoot a handgun right-handed.

Since you are already left-eye dominant, I'd give an honest try to learning to shoot left handed.

Shooting is the only activity that I do left-handed and I've been a diehard hunter for over 50 years.

The older I get, the stronger gravity becomes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page