Lead shot - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Lead shot

Question for you clay busters. I am getting back into trap shooting after years away from it. The places where I used to buy shot either no longer sell it or have gone out of business. I live in the northern portion of Chester County; can anyone recommend a place to buy lead shot that is within relatively close range? I called Cabelas yesterday to see if they have shot, and after being on hold for a loooonnnnggg time had to hang up.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 12:08 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Lead shot

Cabelas is too expensive. Call King's Bullet. See what they have. The problem right now is finding gunpowder.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 08:11 PM
New Arrival

Best place is Shydas in Lebanon, PA for you it is closer than cabelas and they have the best price. Around $38 per bag. If you buy 10 bags you save another $1 per bag. Problem with reloading is there is no powder....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

I ended up going to Kings where shot was $40 a bag at Kings so with the turnpike and gas cost to get to Shydas; it was way cheaper to buy at Kings.
The store is nice and the prices are competitive. Parking, on the other hand, leave a lot to be desired.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 11:27 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Just from being around the trap clubs, there is a place in Richland? I have never been there, but seems that's where a lot of Chester County boys get their stuff. Like others have said, powder is the problem right now. I got a couple bottles from my FIL who shoots in Florida for most of March each year. They had it there at the big shoots, but not much around here. After about the third week in March down there, they were sold out as well, since a lot of guys were buying and bringing home with them.

I don't shoot a lot, but I get my shot from a guy who makes it local. I get him wheel weights, he makes shot out of it, and we split the shot he produces. Seems like serious shooters don't like the homemade shot as much, but it's free to me, and I just screw around shooting, not in it for the score so much, just fun.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. I have about 2 pounds of American Select to run through before I start looking for powder and I may need to use a different brand if I can't find it. Re the shot from wheel weights: this is interesting and I would guess that the process he uses is pretty complicated. Like you, I don't much care if I break 'em all, but I enjoy breaking as many as I can.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 03:16 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I'm due to get him some more wheel weights next time I see him, i'll keep ya in mind, maybe you can try it out, see if you like it. I may see him Sunday, not sure what club is shooting trap this weekend, I think it's Paradise, not sure.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 06:30 PM
Frequent Contributor

Richland Supply is what dmcco1 is referring too., Nice shop.Good supply but not immune to the shortages the others have.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Yikes, I haven't been to Richland Supply in years. Might be worth a drive just to check it out. Maybe even tomorrow as I have nothing planned.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Roger that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page