Newbie to Clays - Help With Gun Purchase - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Newbie to Clays - Help With Gun Purchase

My buddy just took me out shooting clays for the first time. He goes regularly throughout the summer. I had a blast and will start going with him. I am considering purchasing a gun and not exactly sure what would be a good one for shooting clays. My budget is around $500 so I was looking at the following in 12g. Not sure of barrel length either 26 vs 28 ?

CZ 712 $420
Mossberg 930AF $490
CZ-USA Mallard Over/Under $510
Weatherby SA08 $575

I currently have a Mossberg Silver Reserve in 20g which is what I used. I got 37 out of 100 which I guess wasn't too awful bad for my first time.

So what do you think about the guns listed above and barrel length?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 12:08 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Newbie to Clays - Help With Gun Purchase

If you can shoulder all four and see which fits best. I like o/u because you can have an option of two different chokes. But the semi are nice for 3-bird shoots and less recoil. I shoot 30 inch barrels but if you are also going to use it for hunting go with the 28. Sporting Clays are very addictive. Good luck.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 11:24 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Ive had my shoulder reolaced and couldn't handle the recoil from 100 birds , I bought a Mossberg 930 went out and shot 100 birds I didn't even hardly feel any recoil loved that gun . I shot a 72 and that was first time I shot for a few years
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks for the input guys.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 11:37 AM
Frequent Contributor

I absolutely love my TriStar Setter ST O/U. $499 new at my gun shop. I was shooting around 55% until I got it now I'm averaging 76% in trap. I put a Carlson's extended sporting clays chokes, M in top & IC in bottom and never looked back. 5 year warranty too!

Winchester M70 XTR Featherweight .30-06
Marlin 336CS .30-30
Beretta A300 Outlander 12 ga.
Mossberg International Silver Reserve II 12 ga.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 06:17 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You never mentioned....Sporting Clays, Trap or Skeet?

GOBBLE THIS!!!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 12:06 AM
Frequent Contributor

Save up some money and by a used gun from a reputable maker.
Brownings or Berettas with a little wear can be found out there for a reasonable price and will outperform any of the guns you mentioned.Cheaper over/unders will breakdown prematurely and have questionable warranties.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 12:52 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyway
Save up some money and by a used gun from a reputable maker.
Brownings or Berettas with a little wear can be found out there for a reasonable price and will outperform any of the guns you mentioned.Cheaper over/unders will breakdown prematurely and have questionable warranties.
I'll second that...

Roger Beardsley
Head Coach, Mason-Dixon Clay Busters
www.masondixonclaybusters.com
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 04:29 PM

I picked up a CZ 28ga that I was thinking of buying and man was it chincy. I'd rather buy a Stoeger, they may be ugly but at least they are all steel and built like the proverbial brick outhouse.

You would probably be better off picking up a used Remington pump or auto and saving up money to get a good Browning or Beretta. At least save up the money to pick up a used Browning or Beretta. I'll second what Flyway said. None of what you listed is a very durable gun. Might be good field guns, but won't hold up to the thousands of rounds you'll put through them shooting clays. I saw a guy that shot a Mossberg years ago that actually wore the bolt right through the side of the receiver. Only use at that point is for parts, no fixing that.

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 10:52 PM
Part of the Community

I used to shoot registered targets with ATA trapshooting, many big shoots and tournaments, I dropped out but I'm a Life member of ATA, I can always go back... best advice I can give you is when your looking for a shotgun for target shooting it depends on how much your going to shoot it? every weekend? or few times a month.... all gun you listed above are "average shotguns" to get you started basic shotguns nothing fancy made to fit the average person, they will get job done... if you keep shooting thousands and thousands of rounds out out of these gun, sooner or later they will break down... I've worn out Remington wingmasters, remington 11-87, and 1100 ( I always had carry spare drop out triggers, and breeches for these guns) never knew when one will break down in middle of tournament sometimes it was really frustrating and annoying holding up the squad to do a quick trigger drop or throw out a breech and replace with spare...

browning "BT-99" is a good single barrel entry level gun... if you really get into serious save up money start shooting registered targets... look toward Kregioff or Perazzi, SKB shotguns , or even Berrtta make beautiful O/U & semi-autos, these guns will last you a life time...they are made to take the pounding on clay fields...

Take a kid hunting as much as you can!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page