Capitol Area Bowhunters : 725ac Lease in York Co - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

Capitol Area Bowhunters : 725ac Lease in York Co

<span style="color: #FF0000">(this is a re-post that was previously removed)</span>

Met with the landowner today and got a nickel tour of the properties he’s wanting to lease us. That’s right….I said pieces of land now. This started out at (1) parcel of property that was 319AC he was going to lease us. Maybe he and I got along pretty good or that he likes the idea of our organization….for whatever reason (and I’m not going to question it) he’s now including all (3) properties he has for a total of 725ac (approx 180ac of total wooded land).

We both had some family priorities we had to attend to so we didn’t have the chance to go over the whole place in detail, but he did show me the pieces of land and their boundaries. All of these parcels are pretty nice places too; easy access to the woods, great parking spots, and GREAT habitat everywhere. The fields are loaded with corn and soybean and all of the parcels of land have water running on them as well. Since no one hunted them last year there’s been little pressure on the deer for almost two years . So it has the key elements for great hunting; food, water, shelter and low pressure. And from the very little walking we did there’s was plenty of deer sign to be had. We even bumped a bunch of bucks on the main piece of land that were feeding in the corn but couldn’t make out how wide/tall the racks were as they were pretty far off and I didn’t have my binos either. However, they seemed to be right at the ears to me.

We started to talk about finances. He told me what the other club was paying two years ago and what other clubs are paying now for similar pieces of property ($7,500 to $8,500) . However he understands that our organization isn’t going to cram a bunch of hunters on the property like so many club do and because of that our finances are a little tighter. After talking to him about the issues he’s had with other clubs and a number of other items, I have a pretty good feeling that we’ll be able to get this land (along with the insurance) for about $7,000 +/- for the 2010-2011 season. He basically said for us to walk the property first with a few people and then get back to him with an offer. All we have to do is let him know when we’re coming out there.

So based on the assumption it will cost us $7,000 for the lease and insurance, here’s what I’m anticipating the cost/hunter being:

 1:10 Ratio (18 Hunters): $390/person.
 1:15 Ratio (12 hunters): $585/person
 1:20 Ratio (9 Hunters): $780/person.
 1:30 Ratio (6 Hunters): $1,170/person
 Anything less than 6 hunters I’m more than happy to arrange too.

On my end, after looking at the layout of these properties, (12) hunters seems VERY reasonable to me and the cost of $585 isn’t all that bad either. Then again that’s just my opinion. The end results is all up to what the group in wants the balance of hunter/cost to be…which is why I have these options above listed. (<span style="color: #FF0000"><u>update</u></span>) From the initial feedback it appears that people are leaning towards capping this at (9) hunters. If course once I have the locked in cost of the lease I'll update everyone.

So to that I would like to plan a few days to meet people out there and walk the place. If you’re seriously interested in this opportunity, let me know what dates/times you’re available and we can walk the place. <span style="color: #FF0000"><u>(update)</u></span> We are meeting on the 22nd at 7am to walk the property. Anyone seriously interested is more than happy to meet us out there. The address is 975 Paper Mill Rd Delta, PA.

Thanks,

Casey W. Roe

Remember the "Q" in QDM means Quality...not Quantity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Re: Capitol Area Bowhunters : 725ac Lease in York Co

Walked the properties this AM and the place is really nice. Of course with the soybeans and corn there are plenty of food sources for the deer along with the naturally occurring vegetation, fruit and nuts. The properties have three different springs supplying a constant source of water in the middle of the land and all three properties are bordered by a nice flowing stream. The woods are loaded with solid deer trails and plenty of places where the trails combine into larger main trails or just intersect other trails. There's a great mix of thick cover and open areas all over the property as well as hardwoods and pines. So if you like hunting fields, creek bottoms, thick areas or open wooded areas...this place has it. Then combine this with the property not being hunted in almost two years you have a great mix of food, water, habitat and lack of pressure...the key ingredients for a great piece of hunting land.

As for the deer and other wildlife, we initially jumped (2) does when we first started out and then jumped two more later on. I also heard a lot of busting through briars as well all morning long as we walked the place. This is on top of the group of bucks I jumped with the owner the other week. Plenty of buck and doe droppings all over the field edges and trails. Saw some great buck sign on the property too. Took some PIC's of large tracks really nice nice rubs. I hate doing PIC's on HPA so if you want to see some of these send me your eMail and I can send them to you.

As for hunting this property, I know many were wanting to limit this to (9) people...maybe (12). I can tell you right now fitting (12) people on these three pieces of property will NOT be a problem. In fact I would push for (16)...so we can lower the cost/hunter...as it is very easy to get that many on. But that would end up being more of a people management logistical issue than having too many hunters on the land. So overall I think this one is going to be capped at (12)...of course there are (9) or fewer who are willing to pay more to lower the number on the land. And as a side statement...there is plenty of parking to get this many people on the land as well.

As for the actual cost, I'm now going talk to the owner and lock in the lease amount for this acreage as well as a timeframe that we have to get it filled and paid for. Once I have that done I'll send out what that cost is (along with the cost of insurance) and an official cost/hunter breakout. I'm hoping to get this lowered than I initially anticipated but I think that the estimated costs structure above is going to be close.

Again, if you're interested in getting on this piece of land…and again this is for bowhunting only… please make sure to send me your eMail & name (if you haven't done it yet) so that we can keep you updated.

Thanks,

Casey W. Roe

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Re: Capitol Area Bowhunters : 725ac Lease in York Co

As a follow up to this last update, we just posted some PIC on our FB site.
While you're there click on "like" and you can get updates on this as well as other properties we come across and any deals we get updates on from various MFG's and outfitters we're connected with.

Casey W. Roe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page