Deer Club Memberships DE & MD (non-profit) - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Deer Club Memberships DE & MD (non-profit)

A few Deer memberships are available this year in the Delmar Hunt Club

I will be excepting new member applications starting April 1st. Prospective members can call me at 302-528-1203 and I can give tours on April 17th & 18th.

Concept

I do not consder the club a "Trophy" club in that I can not reasonably expect each member to shoot a book deer. However, we do operate the club as a "Quality" deer club in that members have many different opportunities in lots of areas to see a good number of deer and have a chance to take a mature buck in excess of 120" and up to six does a year along with three sika. I feel this is a reasonable balance based upon the value pricing and multiple opportunities. We are a QDM club in all aspects, even on properties where it might not be as sucessful because we believe it is also a "mindset". We plant multiple food plots, run feeders (sika only), minerals, etc. With the other aspects of the club I own four tractors, earth-moving pieces and tillage equipment to operate a medium sized farm. The deer club has access to most of the equipment and members participate in this work.

Basically, it's quite simple. The membership pays for the leases and the expenses, it is not run on a for profit basis. The members are free to schedule a hunt for any day on a web-based schedule. There are no secret spots that I set aside for myself and everyone is treated equally. Every member can see where everyone else is going and results on a real-time basis via the schedule forum.

Additional Information

The club maintains a website and any prospective member is welcome to register on the public portions of the site and ask questions of the members. http://www.forum.delmarwaterfowl.com/phpBB2/ This is the sixth year of the club and there are plenty of members available to answer your questions.

There is no capital investment or risk for the members. I maintain a commercial lines insurance policy and all members sign a liability waivers. Waterfowl hunting pays for most of the farms so the cost of a deer membership is only $1,350. There are no other fees.

Lodging

Included in the dues in all year access to the Dover Club as well as lodging in Delaware and Maryland during the season. We have a lodge that sleeps 11 and a recently renovated clubhouse. The club is ideal for members that live far away. We have members from NC, VA, PA, NY and NJ. We have a deer shop with a 10x10 walk-in cooler. The clubhouse complex is open all year and the is no limit on the number of night stays.

The club has many social events during the year and the membership is a very friendly, ethical group. We have our own wooded 3D range (eight targets) for practice shooting.

Work Days

Three work days are required. We have many great amenities at the club from the members hard work in years past. We try to make these days productive and rewarding. Members may choose to buy-out work days, but all are encouraged to come and participate. We schedule at least 30 days all year long and there are others tasks to do at your convience in order to fill the three day requirement. Many members that hunt often choose to do far more than the minimium.

Properties

Members select locations for club stands which are hung in advance or you can hang your own stand, use a climber or hunt from a ground blind within 75 yards of the club stand. Detailed maps with boundries, parking spots, stand locations with GPS coordinates and driving directions are available on the net to members. We also have walk-in locations available for those times when the reserved spot i not right. Reservations are selected for morning, afternoon or both. Members hang tags in boxes at the farms so you know where everyone else is hunting that day. ATV can only be used for work days and recovery purposes.

We do not permit access to the farms leading up the the season and early pre-scouting must be scheduled like a hunt. We closed a few farms to gun hunting for archery and several farms are closed to late season doe hunting. Details of the club rules can be found here: http://www.delmarwaterfowl.com/deer.htm

I use a rough guideline of 2.25 sections of woods per member, since we cover two states. Last year we had 158 sections shared amoung 62 deer members. There are always plenty of quality places to hunt. Many parts of the gun seasons do not overlap in the two states, so the days available to gun hunt are significant. We are in several counties in MD that permit rifle hunting. Stands are spaced very far apart with consideration of the accessability. Many of our stands are 16 foot, 28" wide ladders with removable safety bars. There are several buddy stands, towers and boxes for two person hunts.

There are 26 different farms to hunt across eight counties of DE: Kent and Sussex and MD: Cecil, Kent, Queen Annes, Talbot, Caroline, Dorchester and Sommerset. We have some very good farms with a total of 14,000 acres including waterfowl. Virtually all types of cover and topography are available from Sommerset to Cecil counties. We have a few big blocks (2,000 acre plus) and several farms between 600 and 1,000 acres. We have taken some quality animals in the past few years.

Sika Hunting

In addition to whitetail hunting in both states, included in dues are Sika hunting in Dorchester county and turkey hunting in both states.
We have a very good sika deer property bordering Blackwater and other properties in prime locations including Andrews, Maple Dam, Tedious Creek and Wingate Roads. Last year members of the club took (6) six-point stags and many others. Some members join solely for Sika. Turkey hunting is marginal.

Guests

Kids (dependent children hunt for free without limitations. Guests are permited on a limited basis an none on gun seasons. Deer members may hunt duck, geese and dove by just paying the waterfowl club guest fee. Deer members get 20% the cost of upland preserve hunts which I also operate.

Other

I do not compete, steal, outbid in the leasing of farms in an unethical manner. The club "gives back" to the sport through multiple donations to hunting organizations. Our members are proud to be associated with the club.

We try to manage the hunting opportunities for all the members in a fair manner and when we have problem, address them in a mature thoughtful way.

We have very little turnover. I have asked more people to leave the club, than have choosen to leave because they were unhappy and every year it seems to get better.

The club is set-up for the experienced hunter and not for everyone. While the members will help you get started, it is not guided operation. The club has the property, stands, equipment, facilities and website, but everything else is all you.

I meet everyone before joining, ususally on a friday or saturday. I love to show the club off, so call me at 302-528-1203 for a tour or ask any questions, Thanks, Drew

Owner Delmar Hunt Club, Traditions Outfitter, Marshtown Preserve and Kennels, The Inn at Marshtown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 04:35 PM
RB
Sage

Re: Deer Club Memberships DE & MD (non-profit)

Wow! Great write-up...to say that does not peak my interest would be a complete lie, sounds like the way a club should be run..best of luck! Just too far away for me.

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 07:11 PM

I wish I had more time on my hands because I would be all over this. Sounds like a reaaly well run and organized club.And the price is pretty decent to for everything. Good luck,you shouldn't have too much trouble finding memebers.

Callin all trucks this here's the Duck, we about to go hunting bear!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Well thanks for the kind words. I appreciate them. Alot of hard work went into setting up the club. A very nice father and son from York signed up two weeks ago and did thier first work day today. Still have four spot left. Yes there are alot of opportunities to hunt almost 60 days of gun season between both states and five solid months of deer season. With the price of guided hunts and lodging, you break even after only five days, so if you can find one day a month it works.

Owner Delmar Hunt Club, Traditions Outfitter, Marshtown Preserve and Kennels, The Inn at Marshtown

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page