How should I lease a Hunting Property? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

How should I lease a Hunting Property?

Not sure if this is the correct forum but I'd like some assisatnce and imput from Hunters and Land Owners.
I'm considering leasing 600 acres of prime hunting property in Huntingdon County, PA WMU4-D
However I don't want do a typical year long, all game, all seasons, type of hunting lease.
I'd like to lease 3 or 4 specific weeks for deer , turkey, & bear during differnt seasons. Like a week for Spring gobbler, a week for Archery (deer) a week for Muzzle Loader (deer) a week for Rifle (deer/bear), a week for Flintlock/Archery.
If I'm barking up the wrong tree and you think no one would ever consider such options tell me that also, won't hurt my feelings.
Any comments or suggestions greatly appreciated!

It's Not The Fly, It's The Operator

Common Sense Is Not Very Common

[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 06:42 PM
Sage

Re: How should I lease a Hunting Property?

You can write up a lease with anything you want on it, as the owner or person in control of the property it is your call. I wouldn't have a problem my self with that kind of lease so long as I was able to renew and any stands I errected would only be mine to use. My brother is in a lease that is only for all of the deer seasons but for nothing else. You would have to set the price accordingly as most would not pay as much as they would for an entire year of hunting for all species. One thing I will mention, if you plan to have one party hunt the first week and another the next etc. I think you will have a problem leasing because no one will want the leavings after someone else took the cream. That is my opinion.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 08:39 PM
Part of the Community

To be honest....give permission to a few hunters that are unfortunate and can't afford to pay for a lease. All this leasing property is bad for the sport. Either let people hunt it or don't...I just don't think its a good way to make a quick buck (no pun intended), but again i guess i don't have 600 acres to lease.

Mathews
G5 T3
2D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 11:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathewsG5
To be honest....give permission to a few hunters that are unfortunate and can't afford to pay for a lease. All this leasing property is bad for the sport. Either let people hunt it or don't...I just don't think its a good way to make a quick buck (no pun intended), but again i guess i don't have 600 acres to lease.
Or pay taxes on. I don't hold anything against any property owner wanting to lease out hunting rights to help pay for property taxes. I do agree though it is not good for the sport of hunting.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 11:47 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Don't lease it. Start a hunting club and sell individuals "memberships" or trespass rights. It keeps you in charge. I hunt private land in Huntingdon Co, 4d. I know several landowners who do it this way.

Support Habitat Conservation.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 12:08 AM
The Man

I just took a lease on a neighboring property to me. I had some issues on a piece next to me so i contaacted owner who live 150 miles away and doesent hunt about buying around 30 acres of there 128. They wasent intersted in selling so i brought up about a lease. We agreed so i went to an attorney in Pa. and had it wrote up. I took an example i googled and tweeked it. It basicly says i have the rights to there property for recreation purpose mainly hunting i can post it and enforce treaspassing just as if i owned it. Examples: i must hunt and perform legal, basicly do what i want of course not cutting down there trees, etc. The real meat they like my self and my guest i invite holds Landowner harmless from if any one gets hurt by shootings, snake bite, tree limb falling , etc. in return only there imediaate family can be on property this excludes 2nd cousin etc. Mt term starts off for 3 years and auto. renews every august for a year bases. During the month of july i must pay x dollars or contact in writing to cancel or they contact me during july to cancel me. Pretty basic and fair for both partys. I pay $10.00 per acre pretty cheap comparing to buying and paying taxs. Its a real good way to go. For Pa. law once it was signed and witnessed by both parties its a binding contract.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 12:32 AM
The Man

This sort of practice has really hurt hunters like myself all over the state. I even know of a few who quit hunting over it. It's a free country and I will not hold it against a land owner who chooses to do this but it is really hurting our sport. I have offerd to do chores and given land owners gift certificates, but I would never pay to lease their property and post it to have all to myself.
A guy did this 10 years ago on a similar amount of acerage by me and I would be willing to bet he displaced about
30 hunters that year. Alot of memories and future hunts in that area down the drain for many.
I can see why a land owner would like to make some extra money but I wish hunters looking to lease would take other sportsman into consideration.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 01:04 AM
Regular Visitor

As a land owner I would like to offer this,tax's go up every year,insurance goes up,gas is in the basement right now,leasing is one option for return on investment. Go try to hunt another state,and see how lucky we have it in Pa.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 03:08 AM
Part of the Community

Steelhead...i agree....Usually if you own property in Jefferson County your making enough in royalties from gas wells that you can sleep pretty good at night.....I'm just saying that leasing is not good for the sport. This leasing property is a trend that can can spiral out of control like it has in many other states. Try hunting illinois....its a joke...very little public land. You either got to hunt with an outfitter or be willing to throw in a good chunk of change to lease land. We are lucky in PA.....but for how long??

Mathews
G5 T3
2D
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

I have granted a few hunters permission to hunt for more than 15 years at no charge. I was away guiding fly fishing clients last year and returned a couple of days earlier than planned to find 3 hunters I did not grant permission parked in my yard in $50,000.00 plus pick-ups (I can't afford one). I won't even mention the deer that were piled in there vehicles, barely legal, but less than what an ethical sportsman would harvest. When confronted they said they herd it would be OK, and the well posted gate was open. Also found beer cans & gut piles littering the trails that I maintain. I can only imagine what might have actually taken place in past years. Talk about leasing being BAD for the sport, maybe not!
I receive no income from this property, no gas leases, no agriculture leases (it's all woodlands) but I pay the substantial taxes, post & patrol the boudaries, maintain the trails and 1/2 mile gated driveway.
If by chance I consider leasing this exceptional, well managed for game property, it will only be for the 2-3 weeks I'll be present. It will not be hunted any other times. Once burnt, twice shy.
Am I being unreasonable?
Thanks to all for your imput.

It's Not The Fly, It's The Operator

Common Sense Is Not Very Common

[email protected]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page