Anyone interested in a DIY Caribou Hunt 2014 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Anyone interested in a DIY Caribou Hunt 2014

I am going to go after Barren Ground Caribou in the Alaskan Artic in late September 2014. I have been there before with two of my brothers and had an awesome trip despite never pulling the trigger. We could have taken some smaller caribou but chose to hold off in hopes of bigger bulls. The migration was late and we went home with tag soup. Regardless the trip was eventful and the scenry and time together was well worth the monies invested. I had scene moose, fox, porcupine, dall sheep, grizzly bear, and caribou on the hunt. The transporter I will be using will be WE Guide Alaska or Northern Air Trophy. The fishing up there is also good depending on where you are set down to make your camp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 11:21 AM
The Man

Re: Anyone interested in a DIY Caribou Hunt 2014

I may be interested in this depending on how many days you will be gone for. If you could send me some more info I'd appreciate it. I have an air transporter also for an area where I shot my 'bou this year and a spot where I know of 3 400" 'bou being shot in the past 4 years if you'd possibly be interested in that as well. Thanks.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 01:27 AM
Frequent Contributor

Sounds interesting.

NRA endowment life member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudu58
I may be interested in this depending on how many days you will be gone for. If you could send me some more info I'd appreciate it. I have an air transporter also for an area where I shot my 'bou this year and a spot where I know of 3 400" 'bou being shot in the past 4 years if you'd possibly be interested in that as well. Thanks.
Their website goes into great detail about the hunt.(We Guide Alaska) They run a great operation. When we were up there we met a few southern boys at the Kotzuebue Airport that had nothing but good things to say about Northern Air. They had taken a few caribou. I saw the pics from your hunt and I wouldn't mind them either. Again congrats on some great tropies! I would like to have at least 4 hunters on the trip and no more than 6. I believe the minimum most transporters will take is 2 and 6 max. At least in the research I did. I am open minded about this hunt however I am firm in going DIY. I think caribou hunts are the most overpriced hunt on the market. Can't see spending $6000.00 to hunt them. PM sent!
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 02:32 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Your cheapest route for DIY is to use an air taxi instead of a transporter. But you'll have 100% responsibility for every detail, you'll just be buying a ride. I hunt Alaska by myself every year and just hire an air taxi for the drop and pickup.

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 02:47 AM
The Man

I probably used the wrong term in transporter. It is an air taxi that I'm speaking of. Strictly DIY.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 03:36 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundragriz
Your cheapest route for DIY is to use an air taxi instead of a transporter. But you'll have 100% responsibility for every detail, you'll just be buying a ride. I hunt Alaska by myself every year and just hire an air taxi for the drop and pickup.
I agree with you but Alaska is along way from Pa. Makes it so much easier logistically to use their food and gear there instead of bringing everything with you. Also the airlines charge baggage fees like Obama's charging up the debt in this country.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
I probably used the wrong term in transporter. It is an air taxi that I'm speaking of. Strictly DIY.
Does Eric Decker run drop hunts or unguided fully outfitted hunts?
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 10:59 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by big28hunter
Quote:
The Air Taxi service does drop camps, but they are not outfitted at all. It is all on your own, but not really that difficult. Since I've flown with that outfit, I now have prefernce in booking over someone who hasn't.
Eric does not do drop camps, and as stated earlier, his hunts for just caribou are NOT cheap. For the money involved, I would not even consider a guided caribou hunt. If the animals are there, all a guide is, is an extra pack mule. If the animals are not there, no guide is going to help you.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by big28hunter
Quote:
The Air Taxi service does drop camps, but they are not outfitted at all. It is all on your own, but not really that difficult. Since I've flown with that outfit, I now have prefernce in booking over someone who hasn't.
Eric does not do drop camps, and as stated earlier, his hunts for just caribou are NOT cheap. For the money involved, I would not even consider a guided caribou hunt. If the animals are there, all a guide is, is an extra pack mule. If the animals are not there, no guide is going to help you.
I totally agree with you! The reason why we did DIY when we went up in 2010. If you thing bringing our own gear isn't that big of an issue I am up for it. I guess it takes about $1000.00 off the price of the DIY hunt if you provide your own gear. At least it does with We Guide Alaska. I guess you do have some extra baggage fees to pay the airlines, though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page