venting? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
The Man

venting?

This is part biography and part advice.
I have been offering people a place to hunt here at my ground for 32 years, through direct offer or a swap hunt. I've come to settle here at HPA and for the most part the people on here are great. BUT there always seem to be those who have no concept of ethics or etiquett(sp). Most of you know that the last two years I have offered people a chance to come hunt with me, by posting the offer on this site. In those two years, I have had more rude and/or ignorant replies than I ever had in all the other 32 years. Here's a quick synopsis of what NOT to do when you reply to an offer like I present: Do NOT reply with your phone number and tell me to call you. I, have the ground and have made the offer, YOU need to keep in touch, monitor your PM's and emails on a regular basis. If for any reason you decide to not accept my offer after our initial contact, you should reply with your decline and thank me. Some may decline because of the lack of trophy bucks in the area. That's fine, it's just that there aren't many and we are not trophy hunters here at my place. The lamest excuse in my opinion is "too far away". Everyone seems to expect to be able to hunt private ground loaded with deer, just out their back door In most cases it just isn't gonna happen!..I've had people say a two hour drive is too far. WOW, get a grip! I have five hunters who will eagerly drive 1-2 hrs just to come here for one day of hunting. If you really like to hunt, like the comraderie of a camp atmosphere, and like getting to hunt on private ground, then if you can't drive a fair distance to get that, you might want to take up knitting.
Every year I have a few "regulars" who have no problem driving 6,8,or even 10 hrs to come spend a few days here for deer hunting.
I always offer a bunkhouse to stay in, my house to shower and eat in, and plenty of fun,yet there is a small fraction of people who don't appreciate that, and think it's just too far to handle.
Sadly, it seems the most eager to reply are the quickest to fail in ethics and etiquett.
For me, those who do carry it through end up being great friends and dedicated hunters. I have one member here from Philly who I have really come to appreciate and call my good friend. He is the epitome of what it's all about. He keeps in touch, offers to help with work details, and doesn't complain about a 4 hour drive to get here.
I posted this to provide advice to those who get offers or reply to offers, so you can do it right and maintain the degree of etiquett we all need to display.
I think those who hunt here from this site will agree with me.
Remember, I'm the one with the private ground. I should not, and will not beg anyone to come here to hunt, I am just trying to be a generous and amicable host for those who may not have a nice private piece of ground.
Thanks everyone for letting me vent this. Best afield to all..............GB

I gotta go agitate the techies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 10:47 PM
Nes

Re: venting?

GB-Sometimes you just need to vent and hopefully the people you are talking about read this and learn from it. I have read the posts of your offers and it is what true sportsmanship is about. Even for those of us that read and don't take you up on your generous offer it is appreciated. Good luck & I wish the best. Have a good hunt and fellowship.

Think before you share your thoughts!!!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 11:21 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

3 hour drive for me Dick but there is no way I would miss the flintlock hunt except for a very good reason. I truly enjoy the time there with everyone and just enjoying the outdoors. Thanks for having meand Cory..

Dale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 12:27 AM
The Man

Was about 5 hours for my son and I to Dicks property. He is a top notch guy and if it wasn't for my shoulder surgery and not being able to help with chores we would have taken him up on his offer to return this year. Thank you once again for your offer.

USAF 1984-88

Families that hunt together stay together!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 12:58 AM

Well said. I know I have never made it down yet 4 flintlock but really appreciate the open invite. I will just have to put in for a 4a first round. Unless those Wiley bucks elude me this year.

Anybody can shoot deer on the farm ground....You earn it in the mountains.......
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 02:24 PM

GB, I know I have responded to your offer in the past. I hope I never offended you.

You make a great offer and anyone who doesn't have a place to hunt should embrace it. Sorry to hear you are getting jerks.

...but those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. -Isaiah 40:31
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 09:57 PM

That's a shame because people like you are few and far between.

I just realized that your the guy I was chatting with about getting a catfish over 30"'s this summer! Your extremely open and willing to share advice. I been hinting to Santa Claus to hook me up with a couple of nice 8ft spinning rigs for this summer,

If you find yourself out in western PA in the summer and would like to do an overnight fish on a a good size lake your always welcome to join me. Plenty of room on the pontoon and Ma, (Santa Claus), packs a pretty nice meal.

Don't let a few bad experiences change you. Your a class act!

Be well.

It is hard to prevent oneself from believing what one so keenly desires

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 09:51 PM
The Man

It,s amazing that no matter how nice you can be someone will always complain and not appreciate the gesture.You are a class act sir and unfortunatly a dying breed.You are a great American.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page