New Ultra Slug Hunter- Scope Rings? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

New Ultra Slug Hunter- Scope Rings?

I am the proud new owner of a 12g USH and am fishing for the correct ring height for a Leupold 1-4 scope. I see the limiting factor is the hammer- and I have the extension mounted already. Based on my readings of other forums, I see the "lows" are out. Anyone have first-hand experience with proper ring height for this weapon? I'm looking at the PRW for the weaver-type rail, but am open to other suggestions. Dednutz (sp?) one piece also came up. Thanks for the advice.

Archery is a humbling endeavor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 05:15 AM

Re: New Ultra Slug Hunter- Scope Rings?

leave the hammer extension off its been known to slow down the hammer causing misfires, I top mine with a 3x9 leupold 50mm you have your self a true 150 yard slug gun
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thanks, Dan...

I did come across that, but thought it was moreso for the 20g....

I assume that with a 50 mm objective lens, you are mounting with "high" rings then? How much clearance are you getting over the hammer? Is it easy to pull the hammer without the extension, or do you have to slide your thumb off to the side?

Mind if I further inquire as to what rings with which you mounted the leupold?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 02:22 AM

Honestly no clue what rings what ever the gun smith mounted on it , no no cleareance issues with hammer . I like the 50 mm cause it adds at least 30 minutes to the am and pm hunt
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 11:19 PM
Part of the Community

Tip, is the Leupold scope a compact model? You should have eye relief enough that the hammer is rearward of the eyepiece in the "fired" position. If the eyepiece bell touches the scope rail (using Low rings), try taking the scope rail off the gun and grind or file a chamfer on the rearward end, taking enough off so that the scope bell wont touch. A miss is as good as a mile; if you can get the tip of a toothpick in between, you're good. I've done this on two Ultra sluggers & have no problems, don't need a hammer extension either. Good Luck!

Forget about the danger; think of the fun!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Awesome- just the kind of thing I'm looking for. Surveyor, if you're still around- the scope i'm looking at is the "shotgun vx1 1-4". Eye relief varies from 3.8-4.2. They also have a fixed 2.5, but relief is a bit long at 9" (scout rifles).

Just so I have this right... The scope will be in FRONT of the hammer (so no problem pulling it back) but back far enough where relief is adequate (x-axis clearance ?). If I need to do so, I can shave some of the rail off the back to give a bit more (y-axis) clearance?

I just want to make sure I get this right. Thanks very much.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 05:05 AM
Part of the Community

Yes. You should try to use low rings for the sake of accuracy. By the time you slide the scope forward enough for 1) correct eye relief and 2) clearance ahead of the hammer in "fired" position, you may find that the bottom side of the eyepiece bell will touch the rear end of the scope rail. This is a trial & error process, but take the scope rail off the gun and grind a 45 degree chamfer on the top side of it. Keep grinding until the bell doesn't touch the chamfer by the thickness of a matchpad, and you are good to go. Call me at 443-783-4861 if you are still struggling.

Forget about the danger; think of the fun!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page