mis-fire - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
MrV
Regular Visitor

mis-fire

I purchased a TC Hunter Pro. I shot it twice at the range. Most recently last Friday night. No issues. I had my scope set on a doe tonight and when I pulled the trigger, I heard a soft fssssst sound. The bullet rolled out of the barrel. The two black powder plugs were in tact. The primer fell out when I opened the breach and I lost it in the leaves. I loaded the gun in the morning. Took out the primer and opened the action and left the gun that way until my evening hunt. I even made sure the bullet was seated properly for the afternoon hunt. What did I do wrong. Must I fully unload the gun after each hunt? Your help is appreciated.

Be quick, but don't hurry!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 11:53 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: mis-fire

Bullet rolled out the barrel??

Intelligence without wisdom is Modern Society............
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
MrV
Regular Visitor

when I pointed the gun down the bullet fell out. I removed the primer then the powder caps out the back and pulled out the breech plug. When I got home the plastic piece from the bullet was still in the barrel (that was it). Barrel was clean. The breach plug had a VERY thin coat of black on it that came right off.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 12:08 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

There is a seating problem. Either the bullet or the powder pellets or both. If you have the correct bullet it should never roll out because there is simply too much friction. You must have resistance when seating, the whole way down the barrel until it is compressed upon the powder. Unload the firearm and start over. Double check your bullet size. I know the Power belts fit pretty loose but they even have enough diameter to never roll out. Make sure everything is seated tight then mark your ramrod. Now you have reference.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 12:29 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Ok the base has a small hole a pin on the the bullet rests on as well as a small flange. I will guess Powerbelt. I will take some flack for this but I hate Powerbelts. They load like butter but I get much better repeatable accuracy with saboted bullets. I have no real answer for you except to double check all your components are the correct size and reload.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 12:48 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Might want to take this question over to the muzzleloader forum. There are a lot of experienced guys over there.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 01:38 AM

My guess...If you cleaned your barrel after your last shooting session, it sounds like you may have had some residual water or oil left in the barrel that kept the powder charge from igniting when your primer went off.

The older I get, the stronger gravity becomes.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
MrV
Regular Visitor

Thank you everyone for your help. I was definitely over zealous with the cleaning. I think that is what caused the misfire. I was using all of the same power, bullets, primer as I did on the range only 2 days earlier.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page