H& R Slug Hunter Issues Anymore? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

H& R Slug Hunter Issues Anymore?

Fellow Keystoners
I've been looking into purchasing an USG, but have been reading about FTFs from various posts (but most were from '08/09). Anyone purchase one in the last year or two that could share your experiences? I've read that H&R is really good about customer service issues, but would rather not have to go that option, you know?

While I'm at it, suggestions between 20 and 12? Both feel very substantial, but enough so where recoil is tamed by the beastliness of the arm?

I feel like this would be a very good firearm for me to own, since I'm in slug territory only and due to work and the like, would really only hunt with it a a handful of times (trad archer at heart .

Thanks for the advice!

Archery is a humbling endeavor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 06:48 PM
New Arrival

Re: H& R Slug Hunter Issues Anymore?

Use a 20ga. USG. Never a problem. 20ga. is enough for my uses. HAve heard hunters who feel recoil of the 12ga. is a bit too much for them. Also hunt 5C
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 12:56 AM

I have one in 12 gauge that I have had for a number of years - I have never had an issue with it - good accurate gun but very heavy. I now have a 20 guage barrel on my T/C Encore that I very much prefer though. I am not recoil snsitive but if you shoot 3 or 3.5's out of any 12 guage slug gun - you will surely know you are shooting something regardless of the gun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 12:00 AM
Banned

i have a tracker II NEF 12 gauge that i had drilled and tapped as i did not want the heavier barrel coupled with hornady sst's it's a great gun for walking with and it is extremely accurate i've killed deer out to 187 yards with it with no issues. However it does kick like a mule and i have a pretty good headache after sighting it in. When i bought mine they didn't make 20 gauge sst's but if i were to do it again i would go with a NEF tracker II in 20 gauge and have it drilled and tapped.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 08:12 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

They seem to have very weak firing pins. Last gun season on the last day my H&R misfired 3 times with 3 different slugs, the last one I tried the gun finally fired. That was with Hornady SST sabots. My now deceased father had the same gun so I tried the slugs in his gun, none would fire. I handed them to a guy at the range who has a Remington pump gun-and his gun fired all 4 !! You could see his gun made much deeper marks on the firing pin. However Lightfield sabots seem to shoot reliable out of both guns. Also my dad's gun is a much better shooter than mine, its a real tack driver.
BTW I hit that buck thru the lungs quartering towards me with those SST's and it was dead before it hit the ground-it never even kicked. The bullet shattered in the deer and a shard went out the ham. I never saw a deer killed that quick before, I just wish my guns would shoot them!! BTW my guns are 20 guage

Here is the year old thread:

https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbt...33&nt=2&page=1

2017-Working on the house has replaced hunting and fishing
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 07:36 PM

u need to take the hammer extension off the hammer it slows down the hammer causing misfires. my son has the 20 gauge and i soon will be picking up the 12 gauge.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 03:37 PM
Part of the Community

What's a good scope to put on a slug gun? I just picked up one and am curious is to what is recommended.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 10:34 PM

3x9 leupold 50mm objective its expensive but u will have the scope for 30 years.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 06:01 PM
Part of the Community

Nice I have an old 3x9 Bushnell that I'm going to try out. Should I really worry about a good shock proof scope.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 10:02 AM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhahn
What's a good scope to put on a slug gun? I just picked up one and am curious is to what is recommended.
I have a Nikon Prostaff 2x7 on my 20 gauge. It is a great scope for under 150 bucks. I have had no issues with the scope and have made shots out to 140 yards the Winchester Platinum Tips. I did have some misfire issues and sent the gun back to factory. It seems to be fine now. It will not shoot the Hornady SSTs worth crap. They are all over the place, absolutely horrible. It also did well shooting Remington Accu-tips.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page