H&R 30-06 a Bruiser? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

H&R 30-06 a Bruiser?

Who shoots a NEF/H&R in 30-06 or its equivalent? (I don't care about a groundhog gun in .223 or .243; I'm thinking about a bear/deer gun that will shoot 200 yards) I love my 20ga Ultra Slugger but am wondering if the Ultra rifle model would be a mule kicker. The slug gun weighs 2 lbs more and is not too bad on recoil.

Forget about the danger; think of the fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 12:18 AM

Re: H&R 30-06 a Bruiser?

I have H&R handi rifles in 500 S&W, 450 marlin, & 45-70 plus a bunch of smaller stuff. The 30-06 is a little pop-gun compared to shooting full house 500's in one. My 500 was set up with synthetic stocks too until I swapped them out. The 06 class cartridges aren't too bad in them but the gun design isn't the best for recoil sensitive folks. That 500 I have will beat you pretty good.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 12:04 PM

I have an H&R in 45-70 and the recoil depends on the load. If I buy Federal loads, they are kind of wussy. If I load up my black powder load, it will black and blue a shoulder if not prepared for the recoil. My load is 45-70-500. (I load to 45-90 length) Which puts the bullet out an extra 3/16. That isn't possible in some actions, but works in my old H&R Shikari
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 11:31 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have a Rossi Wizzard in 30-06, compared to my savage 116 in 30-06 the Wizzard kicks like a mule. I wanted the Wizzard because you could buy more barrels. I bought a 7.62x39 barrel which kicks way less which is mainly why I bought it in the first place. I (sort of) hope to use it for deer this season. That is if I don't get one in archery season.

Only fools fight in a burning house...Day of the dove
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 01:08 PM
Sage

Several years ago, a large feller showed up at one of our 3 position sporter rifle matches, with a new Encore in 30-06 that he'd won in a club raffle. He was a regular AR 15 shooter at our High Power matches and a pretty good shot.

Part way through the slow fire prone phase, we noticed how uncomfortable he was with that rifle, as it was joltin' him pretty hard each time he fired it. His buddies had a great time afterwards, heckling him about his choice of firearm. He never brought it back again.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 03:03 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

It's funny, I have a old single shot 12 guage that kicks hard even with a recoil pad. Years ago a friend had a newer single shot 12 guage I don't rember the name of the company that made it but I think it hade a lever action. Anyway His gun had no recoil pad and the kick was very light.

Only fools fight in a burning house...Day of the dove
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 11:59 PM

Denny, some guns just aren't ergonomically fit for changing shooting positions. Some off-hand guns are terrible for bench or prone shooting. Wrong drop, pull etc.

Those who shoot muzzleloader chunk guns have different drop and shapes than guns used for offhand shooting. Chunk guns are shot in prone position over a rest about 12 inches high. The guns are usually much heavier too.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 05:02 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by whil e kioti
It's funny, I have a old single shot 12 guage that kicks hard even with a recoil pad. Years ago a friend had a newer single shot 12 guage I don't rember the name of the company that made it but I think it hade a lever action. Anyway His gun had no recoil pad and the kick was very light.
I have an old Ithica single shot lever action 20ga. I don't think they have been made since the early 60s. Mine is part of a matched set which includes a .22 single shot.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 08:06 PM

I handled a single shot in .38-55 once, and I thought
that it would be a cool deer rifle, but Im sure the recoil
would be fierce. I believe it was a H&R or an NEF.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 10:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho
I handled a single shot in .38-55 once, and I thought
that it would be a cool deer rifle, but Im sure the recoil
would be fierce. I believe it was a H&R or an NEF.

The .38-55 is mild to shoot with factory ammo which pushes a 255 gr. bullet at about 1,300 fps. Now if you reload you can do some things with that cartridge.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page