H&R single shot problems - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

H&R single shot problems

I've had my 20 gauge, heavy barrel H&R single shot for a few years now. On the range I had an occasional misfire, i assumed it was bad ammo. However today took the cake, had a nice 8 pointer coming into me and the gun misfired 3 times, after every attempted shot I ejected the round and put in another round. After the 4th try the gun finally went off. I was using Hornady SST's which are the only thing my gun shoots well. If you look at the primers on the misfires they are only dented slightly. This seems to me to be a gun issue. Anyone ever have a problem like this? My dad had the exact same gun and since he left all his guns to me I'm gonna put those rounds in his gun and see if they fire.

Look at this pic. The shell to the left is an unfired shell. The three in the center are the three misfires. The shell on the right was the shell that fired.

2017-Working on the house has replaced hunting and fishing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 02:46 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: H&R single shot problems

Weak hammer spring, gunked up firing pin hole, firing pin disconnect tab not functioning properly...could be a few things...

Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhouette Decoys Pro-Staff.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 08:45 AM

It is a bit hard to tell from the pictures, but old sludged up grease in the firing pin hole could cause such a thing.
It may not have been a problem in warmer weather for sighting in. I had this problem with a single shot break open pistol. Fired just fine in warmer weather and barely marked the case when cold.

Sometimes ammo is the cause, rims too thin to hold the shell back far enough against the breech so the firing pin can hit it.

A few H&R's have had hammer spring problems especially in the old days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 09:56 AM

I'l vote for the weak spring option.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 10:10 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If you know how, disassemble and clean thoroughly. I will bet you find gunked up petro based lube caked in it. If it won't go bang every time after that, a quick trip to the gunsmith for a spring. They are a simple animal, and a good gun for the money.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Already thought of disassembling it, but it just looks like rivets around the trigger mechanism. Maybe they are pins you have to punch out. I'm just gonna use dad's gun until I can find a gunsmith around here I guess.

2017-Working on the house has replaced hunting and fishing
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 12:47 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yes they are pinned and if you aren't PERFECTLY familiar with the mechanism, while simple as it is, you do not want to be punching out pins and taking it apart! The pieces fit back together like a puzzle and the first time I ever did it, it took me an hour and a half to get it back together right, and I had the scematic right in front of me. Get a can of gun scrubber, attach the red tube to the nozzle, place the end of the tube into the firing pin hole and just hose the tar out of it. Let it drain out the hammer cut out and once dry, lightly...LIGHTLY lube the internals with some dry lube like PB blaster dry lube or something similar, but don't use any oil. If that doesn't fix it, then you likely need a new hammer spring. The only bad part about that is that if you send it back to NEF, it'll come back with about a 12 pound trigger pull if it doesn't have that already.

Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhouette Decoys Pro-Staff.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 01:04 PM

Good idea! Spray the dickens out of it with the gun scrubber, let it drain dry and then lightly spray with Rem Oil.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 01:29 PM
atr
Banned

Ja get the buck?
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 01:34 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talonracer
Already thought of disassembling it, but it just looks like rivets around the trigger mechanism. Maybe they are pins you have to punch out. I'm just gonna use dad's gun until I can find a gunsmith around here I guess.
They're pretty simple to disassemble/reassemble. You WILL NEED make and use the slave pin mentioned to put them back together.

GO to Another fine mess , select "downloads", agree to the terms then Handi Rifle trigger work parts one and two.

Bill

I think I know what you thought you meant.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page