H&R handi - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

H&R handi

Hey guys, I am in the market for a 45/70 and considering a handi rifle. Never have owned a H&R and was wondering about the quality and accuracy. The big rave for the last 5 years has been the T/C but cant afford to drop that kind of cash. Any info would be helpful.

B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 05:23 PM

Re: H&R handi

I have an old H&R in 45-70 which is a great gun. I think the barrel is a bit short for a 45-70, and IRC the handi is even shorter. The actions are rugged and the triggers could sometimes use some work. If you can afford the Buffalo Classic (also in 45-70), get that instead. longer barrel and better sight radius.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 02:07 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have a NEF handi-rifle in 30-30. Its an OK rifle, trigger pull is about 5 pounds. It shoots well enough. My youngest son killed quite a few deer with it. I don't know anything about the new remington handirifles, Maybe they don't even make them anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwysox
I have a NEF handi-rifle in 30-30. Its an OK rifle, trigger pull is about 5 pounds. It shoots well enough. My youngest son killed quite a few deer with it. I don't know anything about the new remington handirifles, Maybe they don't even make them anymore.
They still make them. I put a Handi in .44 Mag on layaway about a month ago and is was made by Remington in Ilian,NY. The only thing I can see different from the Mass made ones are the receiver. The new ones have a black/blue coating on them and the Mass made ones are color cased coloring. The Buffalo Classic still has color case color. The NY made ones are just as rough as the Mass made ones were including tooling marks and come with dirty barrels after test firing.

That been said, all of my H&R and NEF`s and great as far as trigger pull and accuracy. I still don`t understand all the rough tooling marks on them though. I noticed the older H&R guns, before the NEF name was added had better fit and finish. The NEF name has been dropped by Remington and they are all called H&R`s again.

Life Memeber NRA
Life Memeber NAHC
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

[QUOTE=octagon]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwysox
That been said, all of my H&R and NEF`s and great as far as trigger pull and accuracy.
This is what matters to me. Oh, and the cost :-) Thanks guys.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 04:07 PM
Part of the Community

I've got a few of them including the 45-70. At full load it kicks like a mule. With lighter loads and cast bullets it's fine. My full loads were worked up using the primer to indicate maximum pressure. This get's beyond what a lot of factory ammo is loaded to since the ammunition mfg are concerned about using their ammo in older guns. You can do a lot more with this caliber if you handload.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 01:25 PM
Sage

The first H&R single shot I ever paid any attention to at a gun shop, was the laminated stock, heavy barrel Ultra in 223. Finish was very good and so was the trigger.

Years later I bought an NEF heavy barrel in 223, that Dick's had on special: Scope (Trashco 6x18x42), bases/rings, hard case and sling. Instead of the lam. stocks and polished deep blue/black finish of the H&R Ultra, this one has a matte black metal finish and hardwood handles.

IIRC, it was priced around $240, several years ago? Trigger isn't quite as nifty as on the Ultra, but pretty good. It is also very accurate. Been tempted to sell it several times, but haven't.

Our club is again having winter 3 position sporter rifle shoots this year. It's what I used the last time we had them and it did very well. Although the prone rapid fire phase can get a tad exciting, with a break open single shot.

And yes, I still have all my fingers and thumbs.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Can you have the barrel ported to reduce recoil? I know the 45-70 is a beast.

I shot a marlin lever 45-70 that was factory ported and it was one of nicest guns to shoot.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 04:35 PM
Part of the Community

Yes, you can have the barrel ported - but that will increase noise a lot.

With most factory loads the .45-70 doesn't kick much. Ammo from Buffalo Bore or Double Tap will kick the snot out of you, but the standard "Trapdoor pressure" stuff from Winchester and Remington will not.

If you have to track your game, then you aren't using a big enuff gun.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 06:07 PM

Used to see NEFs in 22 Hornet all over the place, but
not much any more.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page