Assateague Island hunt - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Assateague Island hunt

The National Park service once had a single shot only deer season on Assateague Island (Virginia Side). anybody ever go?
Do they still have it. I remember that hunters had to attend a safety course at 5:am to hunt for the day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 03:07 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Assateague Island hunt

It falls under Chincoteague NWR. They still have it and it is a quota hunt. I hunted the first gun hunt and the second archery hunt this year. Shot a 5pt Sika Stag during archery.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 12:42 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

I have been going when drawn for around 10 years. It has never been single-shot only since I've been going. Maybe it was years and years ago, but not in recent years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 12:01 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Just to add...I'll be at my hunt orientation at the visitor's center at Chincoteague tomorrow at 10AM. They do them the day prior now, and then you may go scout your hunt zone the rest of the day. We hunt Thurs/Fri.

There are some zones that are shotgun/ML/handgun only, and others that permit rifles. The shotgun-only zones are the ones near the visitor's center and visitor-used walking trails. Some of those zones only permit hunting till noon. They now permit hunting right in around the visitor's center to keep the deer from piling in there to avoid the hunters, but you may only use 00 buck, and may only fire from a treestand.

Having gone 5 times or so (I think this will be my 5th or 6th trip now), I can say that it's often feast or famine. I've had trips where I didn't see a deer, and the last trip we had deer moving constantly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page