T/C Prohunter 12 gauge Turkey - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
The Man

T/C Prohunter 12 gauge Turkey

When using Magnum 3 inch Win Super X BB loads this gun has one heck of a recoil... Nice that it has the FLEX absorbers. It's a real light gun that would be great for carrying deep into the mountains on turkey or predator hunt. Hence the reason it does kick quite a bit with magnum loads..I do like the open sights but have not yet decided if I would go with a red dot scope or turkey scope..

You hunters that have the Encore turkey barrel...What do you like? Open Sight as is, Red Dot scope or a turkey hunting scope?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 11:15 PM

Re: T/C Prohunter 12 gauge Turkey

I had a regular Encore and a turkey barrel, that thing kicked like a mule with Winchester Supreme turkey loads. I took the factory pad off and installed a Limbsaver pad, it helped some, but still packed a punch. I did have a True Glo red dot on it, liked the set up, but found that the optic did not hold a good zero with the heavy shooting gun. I suppose a better quality optic may have performed a bit better. I shot one Fall bird with it, of course it did it's job. I decided to go back to my Benelli and sold the Encore. It was nice to carry but I just wasn't totally confident with it. The barell came with fiber optic sights, maybe I could have went back to them with better results, but my confidence was with the trusty Benelli. I can't really say anything horribly bad about the gun, it just wasn't for me.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 12:02 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My "set up" for the last 4 years has been the ProHunter with the flex-tec stock and a 12ga. barrel with a turkey choke (I can't recall the brand right now) and I've been shooting a #5 Hevi-Shot load with fantastic results.

For the sight, 3 years ago, I mounted a Millet Red Dot to it and haven't looked back.

The flex tec ProHunter stock absorbs all the recoil and the Red Dot sight holds it's zero.

That's my two cents on the subject.

SW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 08:13 AM
Frequent Contributor

IMO a 1X4 variable scope is the best choice. And an illuminated reticle is icing on the cake.

We did use a Leupold Gilmore Red Dot sight on one as well. But found the 1X4 variable to be a better choice. However the Red Dot scope was more than adequate.

IMO the Encore is as good of a turkey gun as any person could ever choose. They pattern very well. And our slug barreled ones realy shoot very well also. However they do have stout recoil. That is jut part of the design. If you can't stand the recoil then your only real option is a gas operated semi-automatic. Personally I think the Pro-Hunter stock is a joke. If you really want to lessen the recoil then go to a thumb hole stock like the one in the photos below. I have a couple of thumb hole stocks for the Encores. Tom.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 02:56 AM
Regular Visitor

I have the 20" barrel, it's not drilled and tapped for a scope mount so I'm stuck with the irons. I picked up a 24" barrel after season very reasonable and would like to put an camo EOTech on it but can't bring myself to spend the 4 bills they cost. I have a 1-3 weaver that I'll probably use instead.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 07:07 PM
Part of the Community

I changed out my factory butt pad to a SVL on my 209-50 Encore it made a big difference. I think they cost $25-35.00. I was doing the bdc formula 150/250 and was taken a beating.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
The Man

I really like Muller Rifle Scopes... I have the illuminated red dot rifle scopes on my predator rifles and I also use the regular Muller AO for chuck hunting...I was thinking about putting on the Muller Quick Point on the turkey gun..

http://www.windwalkeroutdoors.com/sc...?idproduct=655

Anyone ever try one of the Muller Quick Point Red Dots on a shotgun??
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 04:21 PM

Found a gently used encore turkey barrel for a good price a few years back on graybeard outdoors. Bought it, patterned it, love it. Sold my trusty 835 and made it my go to turkey gun. Never looked back.

I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth. <span style="font-style: italic">3 John 1:4</span>
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 04:41 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Flyfishr,

That looks identical to mine....well, except that I don't have a thumb-hole stock (mine's the black flex-tek), and I don't have the cammo stock 'n forend (mine's black), and I have the vent rib blued barrel that I just duct-tape with cammo duct-tape, and I also cammo duct-tape my stainless receiver, and like I posted above, I have a Millett red dot sight on it and an after market turkey choke.

But other than that....they are identical!!!

Great turkey guns to!!

SW
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
The Man

I decided to go ahead and put the Muller Quick Point red dot on the turkey gun.. I hunt at night and those red fox just don't sit still at times for me to line up the factory installed front and V rear sight... I need to see the fox the gun comes up and Bang!!!!The sight cost $92.00 shipping free.. If it should not work for the Encore Turkey gun I can put it on other guns.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page