Best place to get custom Encore barrels? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Best place to get custom Encore barrels?

I have been thinking about getting a 22" .243 and since T/C has closed the custom shop I'm not sure who has the best value in customs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 06:49 PM

Re: Best place to get custom Encore barrels?

I spoke to a customer service rep around 2 months ago when I was ording some parts and asked her when the reopening was. She told me in Sept 2011, but since this has passed, I sent tc an email and they just reply as on their web site, undetermine on the date.

There are several encore barrel makers, MGM, EABCO, Bullberry, but expect to pay more.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 10:45 PM

I have 2 MGM barrels, a 14" .17 HMR and a 24" .17 Fireball. I've got a standard TC 15" .243 barrel and it's a really shooter off the bench. MGM barrels are not cheap but they make great barrels. Once in a while I see a used MGM or other custom come up in .243 on one of the forums. Check out their web site. Could check http://www.encoreclassifieds.com and Graybeard Outdoors forum too. Even a 24" barrel is pretty compact on an Encore.

The older I get, the stronger gravity becomes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I was thinking about Bergera barrel and having a local smith cut it down. I need more guns like a hole in the head but this would be good little versatile gun (deer/coyote/antelope) and I cant stop thinking that I gota have it. Basdjs I know that a 24" is probably going to be a better shooter but I would like a really compact rifle and have heard/read that any less then 22" and your losing to much performance to make it worth it.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 12:00 AM

I don't have a Bergera barrel but I understand they're good barrels. So your plan sounds good to me. If I hadn't found a used 24" Fireball barrel, I was going to have one made by MGM in the 21" to 22" range. And you're right...you gotta have one!

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 08:29 AM
Frequent Contributor

I was going to recommend cutting down a factory barrel. If you are thinking about a Begera them contact Bellm. He can probably supply the barrel, cut it off, and crown it for you.

My question is why stop at 22". If you really want a fast handler I would consider a 19" or 20" barrel. I have an 18" 45-70 Contender Carbine(actually 17-1/2 including Tamer). That rifle is a real joy in the woods to hunt with.

No way a few more inches are going to change that much velocity(enough to matter). However less inches are great in the woods.

FOr a custom I would look at MGM or EABCO.

I am thinking my next barrel is going to be a 6.5 BRM from EABCO. That is a fine looking cartridge for our deer woods. Basically because I prefer the rimmed cartridge in Encore's.

Heck EABCO will even cut you a 6mm BRM if you are hung up on a .243 caliber. Tom.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 01:16 PM
Part of the Community

SSK industiers "Home of the hand cannons" I have several of thier barrels. Very good to deal with.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

The customs were out of my budget for this deal ($350-450). I settled for a Bergera from Sportsman Guide for $195 to my door. Free shipping, no tax, club member discount. I bought a Nikon Prostaff 3-9 last year on sale for $80.00. This package will do for now. Economy Gunsmith said it cost aprox $60 to cut down and recrown.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 10:52 PM

Good price on a new barrel. I think you'll be pleased with both the barrel and caliber. And I don't think you'll mind the extra 2"'s in an Encore. Each .243 that I've had- Savge, Encore, and Winchester -has been a shooter.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Now we wait for it.I will have to find good factory ammo capable of putting a deer down efficiently,I don't reload. I'll stick to 95-100 gr. that have good expansion/retention construction but don't want to spend a premium. My one buddy said 243's can be hole puncher's and not do to much damage. I've read all kind of conflicting view's.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page