got it done the old way - Page 3 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 08:42 AM
Frequent Contributor

Congrats on getting one with the old High Wall, how did the paper patch bullet work? Did it run far or was it a quick drop with a big exit hole?

I have some for my sharps but have never taken a deer with them yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony300wby View Post
Congrats!

I would be interested in hearing the detail's of the gun, load, and hunt.

Good luck, Tony
the rifle is a Winchester model 1885 and was made in 1893, its is chambered in 40-70 Ballard. There were I believe three 40-70's all made in the day and were the Ballard, Sharps Straight and Winchester. they were all different and were not interchangeable. the Ballard was rare with only about 300 being produced of the 160,000 rifle that were made. That make everything "custom" for it, brass dies ect. rifle have a Steve Baldwin front sight and rear Vernier sight for shooting out to about 700 yards. I have shot this rifle a lot out to 500 meters and pretty much know all the setting out to that range. the load is Federal large rifle primer, 67 gr. of 2f goex, .030 fiber wad and the compressed .20, a .125 lube cookie of 6 to 1 olive oil and bees wax another.030 fiber wad. the bullets a pure lead at .395 at 370 gr., 2 wraps of .003 onion skin paper making the bullet .401. bullet I dip the bottom of the paper patch bullet in melted bees wax to seal the paper to prevent oil from wicking up the paper. bullet if finger seated and a very light crimp is done to keep the bullet in place while in your pockets. this load shoots at 1280 fps. it sounds complicated, but really isn't. the shot was 100 yards quartering away. I was in a stand, so the angle was pretty steep. hit about 4" down from the spine at the back of the ribs and it exited about 2" up from the belly and right at the edge of the from shoulder. the deer casually turned and walked away. it only went about 40 yards and left a pretty messing trail, no problem following that one! its a bit much for deer I think, but just had to try it out
loridr and Tony300wby like this.
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMP70306 View Post
Congrats on getting one with the old High Wall, how did the paper patch bullet work? Did it run far or was it a quick drop with a big exit hole?

finger size hole in and out, and it only went about 40 yards. there are a few problems with PP bullets for hunting and I am still researching how they did it way back when. getting more than one shot without swabbing the barrel because of fouling and trying to chamber another round. another is keeping the paper dry on wet days so the paper doesn't get all soft and fragile. lube is the key for the fouling problem. I don't want to use anything "high tech" to solve the problems. I want to figure out how they used to do it and keep the experience as it would have been back then.
loridr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 04:26 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpowder View Post
Quote:

finger size hole in and out, and it only went about 40 yards. there are a few problems with PP bullets for hunting and I am still researching how they did it way back when. getting more than one shot without swabbing the barrel because of fouling and trying to chamber another round. another is keeping the paper dry on wet days so the paper doesn't get all soft and fragile. lube is the key for the fouling problem. I don't want to use anything "high tech" to solve the problems. I want to figure out how they used to do it and keep the experience as it would have been back then.
Gotcha, i typically shoot smokeless with jacketed bullets, I have a hard enough time keeping my muzzleloders from rusting so I’m not real keen on running BP through my Shiloh Sharps. From what I know the Buffalo hunters were big on the Paper Patch over hard cast bullets for a number of reasons. Paper Patch bullets would give them the expansion of pure lead along with the speed of a hard cast bullet without having to buy secondary metals to make the bullets.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 06:16 PM

blackpowder,

Thanks for the details.

Good luck, Tony
blackpowder likes this.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Gotcha, i typically shoot smokeless with jacketed bullets, I have a hard enough time keeping my muzzleloders from rusting so Iím not real keen on running BP through my Shiloh Sharps. From what I know the Buffalo hunters were big on the Paper Patch over hard cast bullets for a number of reasons. Paper Patch bullets would give them the expansion of pure lead along with the speed of a hard cast bullet without having to buy secondary metals to make the bullets.

I have shot smokeless in my 25-25SS and found it to be more clean up than the black. shooting a deer with a 370 gr pure lead bullet did about what I thought, not much damage and straight in and out. that's a bunch of bullet for that size animal. now a moose next fall? different story, that should be interesting!
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 10:14 PM

I recall seeing a show once where they talked about the BP silo shoots. The guys would take a spare cartridge, drill the base out and thread and install a hose. When they'd shoot they would insert it in the chamber and blow through it. The idea was the moisture in their breath would soften the fouling in the barrel. People think I'm nuts, but after every shot with my flintlock I blow down the barrel. No idea if it works, just a habit I got into.

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAPJAW View Post
I recall seeing a show once where they talked about the BP silo shoots. The guys would take a spare cartridge, drill the base out and thread and install a hose. When they'd shoot they would insert it in the chamber and blow through it. The idea was the moisture in their breath would soften the fouling in the barrel. People think I'm nuts, but after every shot with my flintlock I blow down the barrel. No idea if it works, just a habit I got into.

same as a cartridge gun only from the other end, and yes it does work on both

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page