Katahdin Encore Barrels? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Katahdin Encore Barrels?

Wondering if anyone on here has one of those Katahdin barrels for an Encore in .460 S&W...

How is the ballistics out of that barrel? Anyone chronograph a particular factory load out of it? How is the recoil and accuracy?

Thinking about getting one. Thanks in advance for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 12:14 AM

My buddy has one... The recoil is a lil snappy but manageable. We are in the process of working up loads for it, but the facotry ammo is HOT! We are thinking of seeing how many wet phonebooks we can get through, but once the handloads are completed. The Buffalo Bore 360gr LFP is a whopper. Til the phone books are shot, we really don't know, but whatever is on the recieving end of this round is NOT GONNA MAKE IT. The groups went from a inch at 50, and about 2.5 at 100 for me, but I think that will tighten up as I shoot it more.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 07:24 AM
Frequent Contributor

My hunting buddy and I both have one. I loaded up some hot 45 long colt loads using data for the Ruger and T/C handguns .these loads are pleasant to shoot.Not sure of the velocity but should be around 1600 to 1700 with the 20" barrel.Shooting the 460 ammo is not as pleasant so we are having muzzle brakes put on barrels should be done anytime .

ole yeller
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I'm considering it for a couple states that allow straight walled cartridges for deer season. One of them has a case length restriction of 1.8 inches.
I've been seeing that the .460 with a 300 grain bullet has higher velocity than factory loaded .45/70 rounds. So I was thinking the recoil might be a bit stiff in that single shot with 20" bbl. Perhaps getting the dies and loading it down a bit will be the answer. Thanks for the replies.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ole yeller View Post
My hunting buddy and I both have one. I loaded up some hot 45 long colt loads using data for the Ruger and T/C handguns .these loads are pleasant to shoot.Not sure of the velocity but should be around 1600 to 1700 with the 20" barrel.Shooting the 460 ammo is not as pleasant so we are having muzzle brakes put on barrels should be done anytime .
I didn't really think it was that bad. I wonder what a 500 S&W would feel like though.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 11:35 AM

The 460 is a .45 caliber just like the 45-70. If your going to reload the 460 you can load 'em mild or wild just like a 45-70. Ballistic's are ballistics and shooting the same bullet out of each at the same velocity will provide you with the same results. BTW...loading 'em wild and shooting 'em with a Limbaver recoil pad on either the T\C Contender 460 or a Marlin 45-70 will help a bunch. I know....I shoot my 45-70 out of a Marlin XLR.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page