TC Contender 30-30 Load - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2016, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
HTE
New Arrival

TC Contender 30-30 Load

I'm looking for advise on a 30-30 load for black bear, out of a contender (rifle configuration) with a 21" barrel.

Bullet type/weight, powder charge, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 09:46 PM

Re: TC Contender 30-30 Load

The nice thing about a 30/30 out of a single shot is you can use a huge array of premium bullets out of it.

Life Memeber NRA
Life Memeber NAHC
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 01:21 AM
Frequent Contributor

I was ready to recommend 125 Ballistic Tips but then saw it was for bear, not deer.

I've little bear experience but maybe a 150 Partition? IMR3031 or Varget? You don't need a premium bullet at 30-30 velocities but the nose of the Partitions should expand nicely and it doesn't hurt to be sure the back half holds together. Cup and cores should really be fine for the 30-30 and better than some premium bullets. The Partition is a good middle ground.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 11:28 AM

Barnes Triple-Shock the way to go for bear in a 30-30
call them up tell them length of your tube and what your going for and they will say 130 or the 150 for expansion on the game and what speed range the pill need to go to open up and expand.
they some times will email you a start max data sheet if you get the right guy... make sure you tell them its out of a contender as well just in case.
around here as stated regular cup an core will work but whats a few dollars more for a prem bullet for the what ifs and most of all with a single shot you want to stake that deck in your favor ten fold.
i would still pack a side arm small 357 or 44

dave
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 03:46 PM
Frequent Contributor

I personally would not use a 150 copper bullet in a 30-30. A 130 is a maybe. Why flirt with the velocity threshold for reliable expansion when there are so many bullets designed for these velocities? I'm not that big on coppers. I shoot a few. I honestly don't even consider them unless MV is north of 2800 fps. In the same manner, I don't consider Ballistic Tips when MV is above 3000-3100 fps.

I'd rather use a 150 Interlock in a 30-30 than a 150 TSX/TTSX. At 30-30 velocities, the Barnes is the bullet more likely to fail. I'm not saying it won't penetrate but I feel expansion is a good thing to be able to count on.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 09:46 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

30-30 begs for a cast bullet. I have shot a couple of thousand of these 180gr in competition (4" groups at 200 yd with open target sights} as well as hunting in my Marlin 36, 30-30. Loaded to 1850fps with AA2015 and a published book load it has accounted for quite a few deer as well as two bear. The bear were taken by a friend with my reloads. Complete pass through on all of the deer and one bear. The bullet recovered was just under the hide on the off side of the second bear.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 12:44 PM
Frequent Contributor

Are they your own cast bullets or did you purchase them from a company?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 02:54 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunjack
Those are my own cast bullets from a SAECO mold. There are commercial cast bullets out there. Choose one with a flat nose gas check and load to a velocity between 1800-2000 fps should yield the best accuracy. With the flat nose cast bullet radical expansion like you get from the commercial jacketed bullets is not required. Results are less tissue damage and more meat for the freezer.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHMSA53393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunjack
Those are my own cast bullets from a SAECO mold. There are commercial cast bullets out there. Choose one with a flat nose gas check and load to a velocity between 1800-2000 fps should yield the best accuracy. With the flat nose cast bullet radical expansion like you get from the commercial jacketed bullets is not required. Results are less tissue damage and more meat for the freezer.
I agree. I use 400-405 grain cast bullets in my 45/70`s at moderate speeds and they punch right thru with no expansion. It will beak both shoulders or double lung and they bleed out. It`s shot placement that counts. A 30/30 with cast bullets should be fantastic as well.

Life Memeber NRA
Life Memeber NAHC
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 09:09 PM
Frequent Contributor

Has anybody tried the Hornady Leverevelution bullets out of their Contender..? I had been loading some spire pointed bullets for my Contender, but was considering trying these....

Work is for people who don't hunt!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page