T/C Encore 20 gauge rifled slug - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

T/C Encore 20 gauge rifled slug

Any of you T/C owners out there have one?? I am having trouble picking out a 20 gauge rifled slug gun and have returned to my Encore. I own several center fire Encores but never owned a shotgun.
Any help is appreciated.
Dave

ONLY THE DUMBEST SHEEP ELECT THEIR BUTCHERS

3D in PA
7R in NY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 09:42 PM
Part of the Community

Re: T/C Encore 20 gauge rifled slug

I have one and it shoots very well. I live and hunt in 2B it is probably the best slug gun I own.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thanks Johnny V........I starting hunting New York State in a shotgun area. I want something that shoots and figured I should stick with the Encore because all of my Encores shoot.
Thanks again
Dave

3D in PA
7R in NY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 05:30 PM

I bought one a couple years back and love it. Makes for a light and accurate gun. Mine doesn't seem finicky with ammo and actual shoots cheap stuff really well. I think you will love it if you buy one. Friend of mine has been thinking of doing the same and adding one to use. Only drawback now is that the price seems to have skyrocketed. Mine is the stainless fluted and I think I only paid $230 for the barrel when I bought it. I think they are around $400 now.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 09:16 PM
Part of the Community

Dave, if you have a specific ammo that you want to use that's great, however I have shot many brands of slugs out of my encore and they all shot well enough to be killers. However the best and most accurate is the accu-tip in 2 3/4 these seem to print very well and on any of the deer shot, there was never a follow up they were dead right there. The only bad thing about the accu-tips is that they are sometimes hard to find so when I do locate them I buy as many boxes as I can and hopefully with the same lot numbers.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin-nut
I bought one a couple years back and love it. Makes for a light and accurate gun. Mine doesn't seem finicky with ammo and actual shoots cheap stuff really well. I think you will love it if you buy one. Friend of mine has been thinking of doing the same and adding one to use. Only drawback now is that the price seems to have skyrocketed. Mine is the stainless fluted and I think I only paid $230 for the barrel when I bought it. I think they are around $400 now.

Yeah the prices have skyrocketed since S&W bought and gutted the company. I am planning on buying the frame first and then the rest of the gun by pieces. I want the 26 inch barrel instead of the 28. I try to make all my Encores short and light being we do a bunch of driving in swamps. Thanks for the info and advice.
Dave

3D in PA
7R in NY
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny.v
Dave, if you have a specific ammo that you want to use that's great, however I have shot many brands of slugs out of my encore and they all shot well enough to be killers. However the best and most accurate is the accu-tip in 2 3/4 these seem to print very well and on any of the deer shot, there was never a follow up they were dead right there. The only bad thing about the accu-tips is that they are sometimes hard to find so when I do locate them I buy as many boxes as I can and hopefully with the same lot numbers.
Thanks for that tip......that will save me a bunch of money and time. I have bought a box of 5 different sabots (Accu-tips were not one of them being they were not on the shelf) and am going to try those but will definitely try the Accu-tips being you are not the first guy to say they shoot in the 20 gauge Encore.
Thanks for the advice
Dave

3D in PA
7R in NY
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 06:54 AM

This is the second year for my 20 gauge Encore. I love it. Its very accurate. Its shoots the Hornady SST's real well, but by chance I tried some Hybrid mag Lightfields 3" and my gun loved them. They really tightened up my group. I killed a nice 10 point in Ohio with it. It did the trick.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thanks.......JK6140. Think the Encore is the way to go.

3D in PA
7R in NY
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 10:36 PM
The Man

I don't have a 20 but I do have a 24 inch stainless 12 Encore... Picked it up used in a gun shop. $180.00. ...It does shoot well that's for sure..Figure a used barrel? chances are that slug don't get shot down a slug barrel in great qty.. Hence why not bad to probably buy a used one..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page