The end of an era - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

The end of an era

Heard some industry news that about blew my mind the other day. I work in a gun shop and our sales rep from Freedom Group, which owns Remington, Marlin, H&R and other firearms companies, stopped in this week. He informed us that starting January 1st, H&R/NEF would no longer produce single shot rifles and shotguns. They will instead focus on pump and semi uto shotguns. I had to ask him if he didn't reverse that statement but he confirmed it. My first shotguns were H&R single shots my uncles passed on to me. I find it sad that those simple single shots will soon be gone from the market.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 11:25 AM
The Man

Re: The end of an era

Unfortunately, the 20th Century is gone and many gun companies are no longer independent and decisions are made on investment purposes only.

Some news over the last few years.

Cerberus is named after a mythological three-headed dog that guards the gates of [censored], but it is Freedom Group that currently has a public image problem. Freedom Group is comprised of Remington, Bushmaster Firearms, DPMS/Panther Arms, Marlin, H&R, The Parker Gun, Mountain Khakis, Advanced Armament Corp., Dakota Arms, Para USA and Barnes Bullets.

An official at the California teachersí pension fund, which has $750 million invested with the private equity firm,

Cerberus Capital Management, was on the line, raising questions about the firmís ownership of the Freedom Group, the gun

maker that made the rifle used in the Connecticut school shootings.
December 18, 2012

Cerberus Capital, Owner Of Gun Manufacturer Freedom Group, Will Sell Off All Assets In Firearms
Posted: 12/18/2012 (Still pending)

Talking of discontinued models, TC/Thompson Center was acquired by Smith & Wesson Corp. and they discontinued the flintlock and percussion muzzleloader, surely missed in PA.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 10:51 AM

This makes me sick. First it happens to T/C in a sense. S&W killed their traditional guns. Now H&R going down. All of my favorites have been ruined. Zerbus has ruined Remington and Marlin just to start now ruining H&R totally.

Life Memeber NRA
Life Memeber NAHC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 10:09 PM
Frequent Contributor

What about the barrel program?

If an inline is just like a flintlock why don't you get a flintlock so you can hunt more seasons?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 04:19 AM
The Man

the one good thing is that if you own a NEF or the T C Encore barrels and actions that sure probably raises their value. Notice you can't even buy a 22 Hornet barrel in a 24 inch Encore barrel anymore!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 05:46 PM

They're just going back to the H&R brand name. The guns will all be H&R now, but they are still making single shots:

Brand transition

Big LSWC's rule
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle buck
the one good thing is that if you own a NEF or the T C Encore barrels and actions that sure probably raises their value. Notice you can't even buy a 22 Hornet barrel in a 24 inch Encore barrel anymore!
Sure you can:

Bullberry Barrel Works

These folks have been around for over 15 years that I know of.

Big LSWC's rule
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 12:29 AM
The Man

what makes the S & W single shot Encore worse then the T/C made Encores? Do they rust, are they just junk, they don't marry up with barrels, etc? Why is the new company stuff junk?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 12:30 AM
The Man

Would the older T/C actions and barrels be worth more because of the S & W quality of their Encores?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMacMahon
They're just going back to the H&R brand name. The guns will all be H&R now, but they are still making single shots:

Brand transition
That may be an older announcement. The H&R name has been on the guns for a few years now. NEF has been off of them for the same amount of time. I own both. Hmmmmmmmmmm... Really curious now.

Life Memeber NRA
Life Memeber NAHC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page