Semi-Custom TC Encore Pro Hunter - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Semi-Custom TC Encore Pro Hunter

I've been putting together a TC Encore Pro hunter as I've gotten spare money over the past few years. I've always wanted an Encore that was a decent long range shooter and I also wanted to put together a gun for my wife to hunt groundhogs and deer with. I had a barrel made by Match Grade Machine chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. It's a full bull barrel and quite heavy. They did a wonderful job and the crown is beautiful.

I sent the frame out to Stratton Custom in Utah for a trigger job, trigger over travel screw installation, custom forend to fit the bull barrel and a hanger bar to alleviate uneven pressure placed on the barrel from the 2 piece stock. He did a great job as well and the trigger breaks like glass. I highly recommend the over travel screw.

I found a good deal at Cabelas on a Vortex 4-16x44 Viper HS LR. All said and done I got it for a little over $200 with Cabelas points and sale price reduction. I think it retails for $650. I couldn't be more impressed with the glass. They're as clear as I've ever looked through and collect a lot of light.

I shot the gun for the first time 2 days ago and cleaned the barrel thoroughly after every shot for the first 20 shots. I achieved a 1 inch group at 100 yards and a 2 inch group at 200 yards. I think I can tighten these up later on once I find out what ammunition this gun likes. The first day I was shooting Hornady SST Superformance 129 grain.

This gun shoots like a .22. It's incredible and just what I was looking for. I don't even need a tight weld to my shoulder.

Yesterday I went out to Castlewood Rod and Gun club with a friend who is a member to shoot a little more. It was quite windy and incredibly cold. I think it was around 14 degrees!

The rifle range there goes out to 500 meters (549 yards) and there is a ~24 inch gong out at max range. I was able to shoot a 3 shot 3 inch group at 500 meters on the gong. Talk about stoked! That's the farthest I've ever shot by 250 yards. I did have one flyer that I didn't mark in the pictures. It was high by about a foot and to the right. I'm chalking that up to shooter error.

Here's some pics! Sorry for the low light in some of the pictures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 03:48 PM

Re: Semi-Custom TC Encore Pro Hunter

You put together a great rifle ! I've been shooting Encores since they came out. I carry a .260 Rem on an Encore frame for deer and do most of my groundhog and predator hunting with an MGM 24" bull barrel .17 Fireball. The MGM barrels are terrific and so are cartridges in the 6.5 family. And there is just something special about the single shots.

The older I get, the stronger gravity becomes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page