.223 H&R ? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Banned

.223 H&R ?

I am getting ready to buy a .223 H&R with a bull barrel, scoped, and would like some input about it. What do you use it on and the load. Coyote, deer, groundhogs, any info would be appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 04:43 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: .223 H&R ?

Varmints. The triggers, even on the ulta varmint line is not great to horrible. IF you can find with an at least decent trigger, you'll be ahead of the game. Likely you won't though, so a trigger job by a competent gun smith will be in order. If I remember correctly, H&R provides this service at a low price, but you need to send the receiver to them. I have owned 6 H&Rs and every single one needed a trigger job done. After that, your standard barrel break in is recommended along with probably floating and glassing the forend and you should have a real shooter. It sounds like more work than it is, but trust me. Youll appreciate it later...

Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhouette Decoys Pro-Staff.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Banned

You are correct about the trigger pull!! My finger is sore from it. I'm going to drop the trigger assembly and hone it to a poundage that will not need a pry bar to operate and be safe. It shoots very well, zero at a hundred with hollow points.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 03:02 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by what
You are correct about the trigger pull!! My finger is sore from it. I'm going to drop the trigger assembly and hone it to a poundage that will not need a pry bar to operate and be safe.
I've done a dozen or so NEF triggers. You'll need some Flitz and #600-1000 wet-dry paper and a lubricant, I use Break-Free

The process involves more polishing than honing. You also need to make a slave pin to reinstall the lifter-transfer bar and the trigger guard.

Don't monkey with any of the springs.

This is one of the best procedures.
Handi Rifle trigger Part 1
Handi Rifle trigger Part 2

If you follow those instructions you should be able to get the WOP in the 3 to 3-1/2 pound range...safely!

Bill

I think I know what you thought you meant.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks a bunch!! I have my clock-makers tools ready, perfect for gun-smithing!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 03:54 PM

It is funny how people feel about triggers. I have NEF/H&R guns from the 1960`s to present and I love the triggers. I prefer a little harder pull plus I think mine are smooth and no to little to no creep. If you like light to hair triggers I can see this being a problem. As a side, the rifle you are getting is exactly what I want for my next one

Life Memeber NRA
Life Memeber NAHC
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I put 30 + rounds through it yesterday and am still looking for the right load. I like weapons that are tighter than just hitting a pie plate at 100 yds. At present it is 3/4" to 1 1/4" at 100 yds, pending the gnats around my head at the bench, they were madding. Three to four pound pull is okay for me, BUT must be a clean break. I have floated the barrel, not sure it was needed being a bull barrel.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 10:13 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by what
I have floated the barrel, not sure it was needed being a bull barrel.
I'll give you another little tidbit. When you lock up the action make sure there some clearance between the forend and the action. Usually its a nice tight fit so the barrel doesn't wobble around when open, but I puts downward stress on the barrel when closed and locked. The old "O" ring trick to space the forend down doesn't eliminate it.

Bill

I think I know what you thought you meant.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-04-2014, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Okay, thank you!
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-04-2014, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Banned

WildBill --- To make this clearance between the action and forearm, do you remove any metal. Or remove the two screws that hold the metal to the rear of the forearm and reduce the wood? This looks as if that would give some play to the opened breech.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page