buying new vs. used - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

buying new vs. used

I had planned on buying a new UTV soon, but I talked to a buddy who said he always buys used because there is a huge depreciation on a new one and used ones can be found much cheaper. He says he always plans on added maintenance cost because there is usually wear and tear on a used one. I always buy used cars because they are cheaper, but cars usually aren't run on terrain as rough as a UTV. This would be my first UTV, so I am wondering what they best path to take is. I would think there would be some decent end of year sales on leftover models that would make a new one a bit more affordable. Also, besides craigslist, what are some good sites to watch for used UTV's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 09:55 PM
Regular Visitor

Re: buying new vs. used

try pennswoods website and map of atv in pa.hope you get on these sites I brought my use atv on map of pa. good luck.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 10:55 PM

Find out the prices of new ones before you over pay for a used beat one.

2D hunter.
Sponsored by myself - PROSTAFF.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 11:43 PM
The Man

Look on this site, boats utv/atv for sale forum. There is a rhino for sale on there.

Your never to old to learn something stupid
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 06:19 PM
Part of the Community

The advice to buy new vs used is generally probably a good one, however there are undoubtedly a few good used ones out there.

I'm not suggesting that anyone consider buying my 2010 Polaris Ranger 800 XP when I trade it in, or sell it myself, and buy a new one this spring. However, whoever does get it will end up with a heck of a nice machine. It is fully loaded with options, is perfectly maintained, stored inside and only driven during the summer, driven on dirt and gravel but never taken taken truly off-road' and has just 500 or so miles on the odometer. I'd say it is in as close to new condition as possible, considering the age and miles.

I'm hoping to take a hit of only $5,000 off what I paid for it, but realistically I expect it won't sell for that.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 08:15 PM
The Man

No way I'd buy a used UTV unless it was very low miles and less than a year old or the owner was 55+. People get these things and abuse the snot out of them. You have no idea if the thing was wrecked and has a few new panels or if it was driven constantly in deep mud holes which is a popular activity.

If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy JM
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 10:02 PM
Frequent Contributor

Gotta chime in on the topic.
Sometimes a "good" price is not a "good" deal.

Bought a 350 Yamaha Big Bear from a member off another outdoor site for $1000.

He said that it needed some "minor" work -- that's true and to be expected. Like, a battery, tires and a tune up.

However, as it turns out, he used it on the Eastern Shore of MD, running through brackish water (fresh and salt water mix).

Long story short: starting to really rust and have other problems (4 WD).
Buyer beware.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 01:42 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I would call the dealer and ask about leftovers first, that is what I did. I got a year(er) old model for a reasonable price. If you are considering buying used I would seriously consider who the seller is. Take a couple of minutes and search youtube for "ATV Riding" or "UTV Riding" and watch what some people do to these machines, and they are practically brand new machines. Also, something else you have to look for when buying used is some guys will add on aftermarket parts, void the warranty, and when they sell they will take off the aftermarket parts and replace with stock parts.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 08:17 PM
Part of the Community

If you can have an ATV mechanic check it out. I bought 10 year old Polaris 500 3 years ago for $2500. I now have over $5000 in it and can't bear the thought of the beating I'll take trading it.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 02:11 PM
The Man

Ive always had used quads. Some have been great and some have been a pain. I'm planning on selling my current 450 Kodiak once winter is over and look for a leftover 700 griz.

2F for a while...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page