ATV vs UTV - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
The Man

ATV vs UTV

I currently have an atv (outlander 650max) Im thinking that maybe Id be better served by a UTV as I really use my atv as a utility vehicle, hauling stands, corn and all the tools associated with them. I know my atv will handle the steepest terrain my place in WV can throw at it, Im wondering if a utv would be just as capable? Not to mention a bed to throw stuff in would be great. How stabile are they? what about trail riding? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Founder and Proud Member Potter County Hunting Stinks Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 04:35 PM
The Man

Re: ATV vs UTV

I have a Teryx and 3 ATVs. The ATVs are more manuverable in the woods but that is the only advantage.

The UTV gets used much more often. It is comfortable. Can carry a second person and gear in the rear. If I had to keep one it would be the UTV becasue of the "utility".

There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 10:08 PM
dce
Sage

I sell insurance for a living and do a lot of ATV insurance.UTV's are the new thing.Every single person that I've spoken with who has one,claims that they'd never go back to an ATV.Me personally,I can't see a UTV being as much fun but that's just me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 03:06 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dce
I sell insurance for a living and do a lot of ATV insurance.UTV's are the new thing.Every single person that I've spoken with who has one,claims that they'd never go back to an ATV.Me personally,I can't see a UTV being as much fun but that's just me.
Not more fun just more more useful.

There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 04:43 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have had several atvs and now own a Rzr. Both have there place. UTVs are very stable in climbing straight up and down, off camber you have to watch because you can't lean your body like on a quad. I have fun on both although they are very different. I bought the Rzr because I like taking people along who don't have an atv or utv, I enjoy introducing new people to the sport.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Thats my main concern, switching from a atv to a utv I still want to take it where I would the atv.

Founder and Proud Member Potter County Hunting Stinks Club
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 03:09 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost
Thats my main concern, switching from a atv to a utv I still want to take it where I would the atv.
Some UTVs are wider than others and that is a concern if you use it off rode. My Teryx is not much wider than an ATV.

post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 09:25 PM
The Man

I have two Yamaha Rhinos, and a RZR. I like the Rhinos as they are very maneuverable in the woods for a side x side. The RZR is also good in the woods. The only downfall in a RZR is ground clearance, but the RZR-S has good ground clearance.
I also had the 4 wheelers, but would never trade back.
I also agree with a nicer ride, and nice to take someone along and gear in back.
Also agree with the statement that they are very stable in hills going straight up or down, although they certainly are not dangerous going sideways as long as you use common sense.
Several models and choices, from a trail riding RZR, to work machine like the Kubota, which in my opinion is not fun for trail riding, but a true work horse.
If your looking , be sure to look at the Can Am commander, they have some nice options. Also, this is supposed to be the last year for the current model Rhino, Yamaha is coming out with new versions of it, but the current Rhino is a nice machine.

Your never to old to learn something stupid
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 01:50 AM
The Man

The Kubotas don,t have any ground clearance to speak of.Didn,t the Rhino,s have a lot of bad press and lawsuits or something not to long ago?
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 02:19 AM

Dummy's put their feet and legs out of the rhinos
and got them broke. Now they come with doors.

Honda has a new one out that converts from 2-4 seats.

2D hunter.
Sponsored by myself - PROSTAFF.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page