Polaris or Honda - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Polaris or Honda

Looking to purchase my first ATV. I really like the 2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EPS Stealth Black LE. But I hear good and bad stories on Polaris. What about the Honda product? Can anyone provide some advise on my purchase. Honda I know pretty much has been around since I was a kid.. I plan to use the ATV for hunting and trail riding, and some camp work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 09:26 PM
New Arrival

Re: Polaris or Honda

I purchased my Sportsman 500HO new in 2011. I purchased it for about the same reasons as you; plow snow, haul firewood, and some trail riding. I was looking between the two machines and finally decided on the Polaris because of the price. My machine was new and for the price I felt I got a really good deal, better than any deal I could get on a Honda. I also joined a local ATV club and of the members for 2013, there are 143 Polaris, 105 Yamaha, 72 Honda, and the other 100 or so are mixed. This is combined for quads and side by sides. Something I think all Polaris machines are known for is charging issues and batteries. You will need to get a battery tender, especially if you put a plow on it for the winter. I have not had any problems with mine and have had it two years now, although I only have a 125 miles or so on it.
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 12:09 AM

I'm not going to put Polaris down because I've never owned one, although like you I've heard good and bad.

What I will say is that I have an 04' Honda 500 Rubicon that I bought new in Oct of 2004. It has 2800 miles on it right now and other than batteries and yearly spring oil/filter changes I have not put a single penny into that machine (not even spark plugs). It fires right up EVERY time. I think it was five years before I had to put a battery in it and have only put one in since the first replacement.

I will say that from day one the steering seemed tight. I thought that it was due to being full time 4-wheel drive (at that time they were made full time 4WD) so I bought an aftermarket 2-wheel/4-wheel selecter for it which seemed to help some. Two weeks ago I finnaly changed the tires on it and now the steering is great. Had I known changing the factory tires out with ITP's would help that much I would have done it a long time ago.

My son had a 2001 Honda 90 for about 5 years and never a single issue with that machine mechanically. Now he has an 07' 250 that runs like a top.

Like I said I'm not going to put Polaris down but I will say that Honda's are rock solid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 12:41 AM

I can't speak for polaris but oir cam has 5 hondas going back at least 10 years and no issues.
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 11:56 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Polaris mostly us made. I love my 09 ranger.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 12:24 PM
Part of the Community

I have a 04 Sportsman 500HO. Use it for plowing, hauling wood, dragging out trees etc. Have 3200 miles original tires. I replaced the battery once. No problems at all.

BTB
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 01:57 PM
Part of the Community

Honda all the way! i have 10k on mine and change oil and tires. my buddy is pushing 30k n one and 20k on the other and we just got another 400.
ride a honda fix all the others, pay the little extra and enjoy it!
my yamaha big bear SUCKED! tie rods,ball joints, ripped out the rear end rebuilt the enging at 13k changed lightbulbs all the time for some reason!
we just pulled my buddies polaris back due to battery /charging system!
honda! no way i will buy anything else!

A "clip" is a clip, aka Def: a device, typically flexible or worked by a spring, for holding an object or objects together or in place.
a "Magazine" is a magazine aka Def: a chamber for holding a supply of cartridges to be fed automatically to the breech of a gun.

so a "clip" holds the "magazine" in place. get it?
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 02:19 PM
dce
Sage

I wouldn't buy a polaris.I know way too many people who've had nothing but problems with them.I do know some who have had good luck but they're in the minority.I was never a suzuki fan but got a good deal on a LTF500 in 1998.I've had that thing for over 12 years and rode it pretty hard.I change the oil from time to time and clean the air filter as well as replace the spark plug a couple times a year.The thing has never let me down once.It sits in a freezing cold barn all winter and starts right up every time.It's full time 4wd and geared really low.It has a top spedd of about 40mph and turns pretty hard.I really don't like but it's not worth anything so I never got rid of it.However,for pure reliability,I've never seen anything like.I just can't justify upgrading.
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 02:26 PM
Part of the Community

suzuki king quad i bet??? we had 2 of them that did pretty well. My buddy had a Polaris given to him by a neighbour who moved to Florida ,the first thing he has to do was change a belt we told him to give it back!
people buy them if they dont use them alot and they are cheap! JUNK I never understood why people still buy them?

A "clip" is a clip, aka Def: a device, typically flexible or worked by a spring, for holding an object or objects together or in place.
a "Magazine" is a magazine aka Def: a chamber for holding a supply of cartridges to be fed automatically to the breech of a gun.

so a "clip" holds the "magazine" in place. get it?
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 03:37 PM
dce
Sage

Yep,I think it is a king quad.I bought my kid a Yamaha 300 grizzly this spring.He rides it non stop and it's been pretty good so far but the jury is still out.I have a buddy that sells Yamaha so the next one I buy will probabaly be another yamaha.It's more of a loyalty thing than anything else

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page