Friendly Wildlife - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Friendly Wildlife

Any of you guys ever go out for a little ride and have wildlife sort of keying on the ATV?

For the 4th time, I have had a grouse just sort of walk along side me....stop when I stopped, run when I sped up a little.

I went out this morning to cut some wood for the fire pit. Took the ATV with a small cart attached. Cut some wood and while on the way back home.....Basically crawling along at 3 to 4 mph, I had a grouse start to shadow me on the right side of the path. I stopped.....The grouse stopped. I started crawling along again and the grouse followed me. At one point, the grouse was a little ahead of me and I stopped.....It crossed the road not 3 feet from my front tires and stood there on the left side of the trail staring at me.

I was only a few hundred yards from the house at this point so I just headed on home. I got it up to maybe 5 mph on the trail into my back yard and when I looked back.....The grouse was actually running up the middle of the path behind me....I guess it was trying to keep up.

Anyhow, the grouse would not follow me past the shed and to the house, But it hung out at the edge of the back yard for probably 20 minutes or so before walking back into the woods.

I'm thinking maybe the sound of the engine may imitate the sound of a grouse drumming.

I'll tell ya though....That was frickin' neat.

Don't let the name fool Ya!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 12:27 PM
Banned

Re: Friendly Wildlife

Grouse do some strange things at times, follow law mowers people walking showing no fear of humans etc.. One of the reasons they were once called fools hens.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 01:28 PM
The Man

A few yrs ago my father was mowing with his riding mower and a ringneck did the same thing you described. It was actually pecking at and trying to get on top of the front tires.

It was in the fall and the grass and leaves were sticking to the tires... like maybe he though it was a hen??

Cool story by the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 02:58 PM
The Man

my pap had one that was like a pet. He would go out and rev up the atv and she would come running right in. She would jump up into his arms and such. When i tried it whooped me. Weird critters. I need to find a dumb one like that. I never harvested a grouse yet. LOL

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 12:48 PM
RB
Sage

Quote:
I'm thinking maybe the sound of the engine may imitate the sound of a grouse drumming.
We got a Bingo!! Had one follow me all spring, summer into Fall, I mean each and everytime I had the ATV on the property he showed up. He even flew into my back once, and sat on the rack of it while I planted trees..he is long gone now, but I still see grouse all the time coming towards me on the ATV especially in spring drummer season, but none were as bold as old "Ralph".

Your ATV a Yamaha Griz/big Bear by chance? They idle ALOT like a grouse drum IMO.

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

It's a '02 Honda TRX500 Rubicon.

Alot of the ones I've heard sound pretty much the same at idle though. It definitely piques their interest.

Don't let the name fool Ya!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page