Who has had their ATV stuck in the mud and all 4 wheels down to the axle? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Who has had their ATV stuck in the mud and all 4 wheels down to the axle?

On Wednesday I went to my stand to do some last minute work. I decided to get to my stand via a route I had never taken before because it was a bit closer and I wanted to scout it out. I came to a spot where I had to turn left and then make another quick left but I didn't know that from the drawing. Before I knew it I was in a very wet area with high grass so you could not see the water and as soon as my wheels started to spin I knew I was in the crap. I gathered some branches and pit them behind the rear wheels and stomped them down into the mud and tried to back out in 4wd. No luck, just went deeper in the mud. I too my key toe the machine and walked to the home of one of the owners of the property an a good friend to see if he had a come along. Fortunately he was home because my phone was in my truck. He did nit have a come along but he called a friend who had a bobcat who he thought would be willing to help me out but he wasn't home. We then drove about 3 miles to his brothers house to see if he had a come along, he did, so we went back to his house and got a piece of chain and two nylon tow straps and walked back to my ATV. We found a tree that was in line with the machine and out the chain around it and hooked the come along to the chain and the two straps to the come along. I then went into the mud and dropped the loop on one of the straps over my trainer hitch in my machine. I got on the ATV and started it up and he started pumping the come along and pulled me back while I used reverse to help. We got me back to the point where we had to rehook up the chain to the Come along because we ran out of cable. We did the same thing again and got my rear wheels on solid ground and I backed up and was free of the mud. What a relief. I loaded the come along and the straps and chain on to my ATV and took them back to my friend's brothers house where my truck was parked and put them away. I then washed all the mud off and from under my ATV which took about 25 minutes. I then drove about 8 miles to a beer distributor and bought my friend a case of beer since he would take no money for helping me. The thing is I have a 2000 lb Warn winch but it was in the front of the machine and I needed to go backwards. I am considering buying another one for the back. Anyway I got my work done, had a beer with my friend and still got home in 4 hours. Now if the deer only cooperate on Saturday.:grin2
bohunr, loridr, Born2Hunt and 5 others like this.

Last edited by Woods walker; 10-03-2019 at 08:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 08:56 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

glad you got it out alright with no damage. let us know if you get one and how it works out for you
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 09:10 PM
Part of the Community

Woods , A friend of mine has a winch that is portable and mounted to a hitch, he then can put it in his 2" receiver on the rear. Its small enough to fit in a backpack and not all that heavy. I think he bought it from Harbor Freight for 49 dollars ,it has a remote also. The other thing we did to it was connect large alligator clips to the ends so he can just clip it to the battery which is under the seat. When we go he has everything in the back pack ( tow straps , chain , leather gloves , rope and a snatch block ) with all listed its pretty heavy but it has everything we need .
Laylow likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 09:43 PM

I think you have the right idea about a spare winch for that type of situation. I bolted an ATV box on my back carrier, which is lockable.

I guess the situation you managed to be unfortunate enough to find yourself in is something we somehow don't even consider when we outfit the machine. I'm looking at getting some form of winch or come-along to keep in that box I bolted on in addition to the Warn bolted onto the front since I read your post.

Thanks for sharing this one with the rest of us! While most guys probably prepare for the worst, those of us, (like me), that figure we're bulletproof appreciate just such wake up calls....

Remember.... they're full time deer......we're part time hunters!
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 10:34 PM

Been there, done that. Ive buried about every type of ride there is....cars, suvs, trucks, quads, Argos....if it has wheels, Ive had them stuck. Im pretty good at getting them out....mainly because of all the practice . 😀
dce, loridr, Laylow and 2 others like this.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 08:39 AM

Send a message via AIM to 59Willys
I carry a com-along,with rope for that reason. Fits perfect inside my back container.
flintlock hunter likes this.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny v. View Post
Woods , A friend of mine has a winch that is portable and mounted to a hitch, he then can put it in his 2" receiver on the rear. Its small enough to fit in a backpack and not all that heavy. I think he bought it from Harbor Freight for 49 dollars ,it has a remote also. The other thing we did to it was connect large alligator clips to the ends so he can just clip it to the battery which is under the seat. When we go he has everything in the back pack ( tow straps , chain , leather gloves , rope and a snatch block ) with all listed its pretty heavy but it has everything we need .
I actually have one of those, I bought it for my truck, carried it around in the bed for years and never opened the box except the day I got it I stick it on my hitch ball and hooked the clips to my battery to make sure it worked.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 08:56 AM

I buried an ATV in mud that went over the seat..This happened during a freak snowstorm on the PA/NY border. Daytime temps we in the 80's and we had 10" of snow that night. My buddy and I got in and pulled it out, but it took us hours and we almost froze to death. Good thing we had some hotties waiting for us back at camp.

Previously JJ5C
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Banned

If mine would have been that bad I probably would have shot it and covered it completely and left.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 09:13 AM
Frequent Contributor

Check out the tiger tail from KFI. Innovative product and all you need is a come along to help get you out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page