Two men killed when ATV hits deer - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Two men killed when ATV hits deer

I read in my morning paper in an AP article out of Warren that two men in their mid 50s were on an ATV and hit a deer and rolled the machine down a hill or embankment around 7:30 Sunday morning in Triumph twp, both men were killed. Sad holiday weekend for two families.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 12:39 PM
Frequent Contributor

There's a remote chance of that type of collision (I don't know the %) but I do know from taking my ride up gas well roads or "cuts" that a whitetail can come outta nowhere. I had one come full boat when I was traveling a side hill leaning from my right to my left. Big doe zipped in front me maybe 10 feet. If she would have hit me there's no doubt I would have rolled.

I have a roll cage on my machine.......but still......
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 12:52 PM

Sad day for those families. A day of fun can turn into a tragedy quickly.

I had a spike hit my Eiger back in 2013. I was probably going 15 mph. The collision knocked me off the quad and the deer off itís feet. We both laid there on the ground looking at each other for a few moments. After a few seconds, we both got up. Neither of us any worse fore the wear.
Blueeagle and Buckskin Dave like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 02:10 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Another rider died in the poconos this weekend, 2nd atv fatality that I’ve read about since April.

Camp life,it don't get much better!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 04:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to 59Willys
Heard the siren from the firehall. Of course we didn't know what the call was for until later. Sadly they hit a deer or deer hit them on Campbell Rd. Rolled over multiple times and both men were found dead in the field. If your going to ride the roads go slow! ATV's are tough to control with one person let alone two.

Last edited by 59Willys; 05-27-2019 at 04:51 PM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 04:09 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If I recall right there was one last year close to the same town.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 04:13 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Out of curiosity, is Campbell Road a posted joint-use automobile/ATV road?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 05:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to 59Willys
Not sure? My understanding a register atv can only "cross" certain roads not drive down them? Roads mark for snowmobile are allowed
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Sage

There are roads in some counties are open to atv travel.

Where You Can Ride Your ATV in Pennsylvania
Know before you go. It's important you know what lands you will be riding on and if they are open to ATV use. Contact the appropriate land management agency to find out what is open. Generally speaking, ATVs may be operated:

On private property with the consent of the owner
On state-owned property on clearly marked and designated trails
On highways and streets when necessary to cross a bridge or culvert
On highways and streets during periods of emergency when so declared by a governmental agency having jurisdiction
On highways and streets for special events of limited duration that are conducted according to a prearranged schedule under permit from the governmental unit having jurisdiction
On streets and highways that have been designated as “ATV or Snowmobile Roads” by the governmental agency having jurisdiction
An ATV may make a direct crossing of a street or two-lane highway provided:

The crossing is made at an angle of approximately 90 degrees to the direction of the highway, and at a place where no obstruction prevents a quick and safe crossing
The ATV is brought to a complete stop before crossing the shoulder or highway
The driver yields the right-of-way to all oncoming traffic that constitutes an immediate hazard
In crossing a divided highway, the crossing is made only at an intersection of such highway with another public street or highway
Driver must be at least 16 years of age unless he has a safety certificate and is under the direct supervision of a person at least 18 years of age

Designated ATV Roads
State and local highways and roads may be designated and posted for ATVs by the government authority with jurisdiction over the road. Township roads designated for ATVs are posted with a green sign containing the side view silhouette of an ATV and rider in white.

Some roads may be designated and posted as joint-use roads open to both ATVs and licensed motor vehicles. Joint use roads are posted with signs stating that both types of vehicles may use the road. ATV operators on joint-use roads must be at least 16 years of age.

Municipal ordinances may further regulate the use of ATVs on roads within their jurisdiction.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!

Last edited by Woods walker; 06-17-2019 at 05:51 PM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 05:54 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I hit a spike with my Eiger back around 2014 also. Riding a logging road on private property I was probably doing 40ish in the dark. It was on a sidehill and the buck came up over so I never saw its approach. Luckily for me, since it was coming uphill, it essentially jumped into my front quarter with my brush guard all but killing it via blunt force trauma to the head. Busted up my fender and I felt it hit my leg as I went passed but otherwise I was extremely fortunate.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page