Two men killed when ATV hits deer - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 06:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to 59Willys
Can't explain it better then that ! 40ish is FAST Your lucky Shiftyshad
Dogface likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:02 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
There are roads in some counties are open to atv travel.

Where You Can Ride Your ATV in Pennsylvania
Know before you go. It's important you know what lands you will be riding on and if they are open to ATV use. Contact the appropriate land management agency to find out what is open. Generally speaking, ATVs may be operated:

On private property with the consent of the owner
On state-owned property on clearly marked and designated trails
On highways and streets when necessary to cross a bridge or culvert
On highways and streets during periods of emergency when so declared by a governmental agency having jurisdiction
On highways and streets for special events of limited duration that are conducted according to a prearranged schedule under permit from the governmental unit having jurisdiction
On streets and highways that have been designated as “ATV or Snowmobile Roads” by the governmental agency having jurisdiction
An ATV may make a direct crossing of a street or two-lane highway provided:

The crossing is made at an angle of approximately 90 degrees to the direction of the highway, and at a place where no obstruction prevents a quick and safe crossing
The ATV is brought to a complete stop before crossing the shoulder or highway
The driver yields the right-of-way to all oncoming traffic that constitutes an immediate hazard
In crossing a divided highway, the crossing is made only at an intersection of such highway with another public street or highway
Driver must be at least 16 years of age unless he has a safety certificate and is under the direct supervision of a person at least 18 years of age

Designated ATV Roads
State and local highways and roads may be designated and posted for ATVs by the government authority with jurisdiction over the road. Township roads designated for ATVs are posted with a green sign containing the side view silhouette of an ATV and rider in white.

Some roads may be designated and posted as joint-use roads open to both ATVs and licensed motor vehicles. Joint use roads are posted with signs stating that both types of vehicles may use the road. ATV operators on joint-use roads must be at least 16 years of age.

Municipal ordinances may further regulate the use of ATVs on roads within their jurisdiction.
Just to add a few interesting pieces of information to the above:

#-On lands "leased" to the PGC, a person must obtain permission to use their ATV from the landowner. The PGC cannot give this permission.

#- When riding\driving an ATV, the law states that a helmet must be worn. If you're hunting and wear a FO hat (as most do) I'm guessing that to stay "ultimately legal" your helmet should be painted FO.

#-The helmet law is not required if the vehicle is a golf cart. (Yes......I use a highly modified electric golf cart for hunting.)

#-When a stream is on your path, fording said stream is permitted. Riding up a stream is not. I will say that I've received conflicting information on the matter of stream fording depending upon which agency you talk with. IE: The PGC or the F&BC.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 04:28 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Just an aside to this thread's information and on-the-ground actuality:

The laws pertaining to ATV/snowmobile ownership, licensing and use (with the exception of Game Law provisions that are applicable on Game Lands and PF+BC provisions applicable on PF+BC property) are codified in Chapter 77 in the Vehicle Code. All LEOs authorized to enforce the Vehicle Code are obligated under provision of this Chapter to enforce the Snowmobile/ATV law. Keeping that in mind, digest the fact that fine monies collected through enforcement of this Chapter are earmarked for distribution to DCNR for administration of the licensing of said machines, also by provision of this Chapter. Enforcement of Chapter 77 of the Vehicle Code by officers of local police departments is extremely negligible on the verge of non-existent. In fact, I am aware of some such officers who have actually directed citizens to operate their machines on out-of-the-way roads (where it is expressly illegal to do so) so that they could avoid the issue of being compelled to enforce the law. You can draw your own conclusions as to the whys, wherefores, and implications of these facts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 01:00 PM

Pens announcer, Mike Lange says, "Let's go hunt Moose on a Harley". Well, I don't know about that, but I know a whitetail hunted me on a Harley. She hit ME. Luckily it was 25 years ago, when I was more resilient. Occurred on a back road, so by the time I locked up, I'd say we collided at about 35 mph. Could have been worse.

2A-Wash. Co.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page