• 1 Post By Stant
  • 1 Post By dce
  • 1 Post By Huntered
  • 1 Post By Dogface
  • 2 Post By Dogface

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Atv plow/deer carrier

I was all set to purchase a carrier for my King Quad from Sportsmans Guide for the sole purpose of getting my harvested deer back to the truck, when I had a wild thought.......

Why not leave the Warne snowplow set up on the quad and use it not only to carry the deer back to the truck, but ratchet strap the animal to the blade and let the winch do the heavy lifting? Once the deer is straped on and the plow blade winched up tight it would be positioned nearly perfectly.

After all, this coming season is a gift for me, (my surgery was sucessful and I will be able to squeeze in another year or two), and I need the King Quad to get in and out anyway.....

Anyone already doing this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 12:12 PM
The Man

If the terrain is flat it should not be a problem but if it is rough and wooded I don't think the plow will lift high enough to give you the proper clearance.

There could also be a weight / balance problem with the weight out much further than the front wheels.

The only way to know for sure is to try it.
flintlock hunter likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 12:38 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

All I do is strap the head, neck and feet together and hook it to the back of my quad with head higher than the ground, and drag it to my truck, ez. I never seen a deer I would want to mount, This will not ruin any meat but will take some hair off the deer.

Good luck, Stant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 12:58 PM
dce
Sage

Way too much weight up front.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 01:10 PM

I do what Stant does,never had a problem doing that way either.

Nature can teach us alot.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

There could also be a weight / balance problem with the weight out much further than the front wheels.
QUOTE FROM DOGFACE:

I figured the weight in the back on a carrier might drag the rear down under acceleration uphill, which would be a stabilization concern. I saw a deer drapped over the front rack of a quad once, and the owner said is biggest problem was hosing the blood off when he was through.

You guys say its too much weight in the front as well. Maybe this isnt such a good plan after all. This past year I used a small four foot plastic sled drilled to accept parachute chord to "sew" the deer to the sled, then attached it to the hitch reciever with rope to drag it back to the truck.

I guess they call it a snow plow because its only for plowing snow...... Thanks to all you guys for the input, I might have just managed to get myself in trouble without it.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 09:47 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintlock hunter View Post
QUOTE FROM DOGFACE:

I guess they call it a snow plow because its only for plowing snow...... Thanks to all you guys for the input, I might have just managed to get myself in trouble without it.
I also use a plastic sled. It works great.

I only mentioned the weight issue because weight can be a big issue on ATV's especially on steep inclines or rough terrain and slopes.

BTW I try to keep any weight over the wheels.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Dogface, I understood the reasoning for your reply post, and it is recieved in the spirit it was offered.

This past season was my first ever even riding a quad, so getting some insight to what Im sure gives my amatuer standing away will hopefully keep me out of trouble. You guys use them all the time, so you know which works and what needs to be avoided, and I am actually quite grateful that guys like you are willing to share some of the advice born of experience.

Thanks to all!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 10:27 AM
The Man

Good Luck! They are a lot of fun and a great convenience.

BTW just an FYI. I have been driving off road vehicles since the late 1960s. My first off road vehicle was a Coot. I purchased my first ATV in 1984. It was a Suzuki LT-230. We currently have 4. I have pushed them and sometimes I pushed too far. Today I'm very conservative and careful. There was a time when rough terrain and getting stuck was a challenge. Not today.
dce and flintlock hunter like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page