Looking for a lightly used atv - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bigbrownie

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Looking for a lightly used atv

I'm in the market for a 4wd atv, with at least 400cc. What would be considered high mileage on one? Are there brands to stay away from? I was thinking something less than 10 yrs old, but is that too old?

There is no "X" in my bow!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 11:09 AM

I bought a 400 Eiger ( Suzuki ) in October. It was a 2003, with 1600 miles. I paid $1900.....Iíve put 400 miles on it in a little over 2 months.( mainly trapping ). If you can find one with under 2000 miles, thatís great. I just retired another Eiger, a 2002, I literally ran the wheels off it. I think I owned it 12 years, it had an eximated 15,000 miles on it, as the odometer broke at 9000 miles. Stay away from machines that have a bunch of busted plastics, probably rode hard. Sometimes you can find one owned by an elderly guy or gal, and just used in the yard. If it was garage kept, thatís a plus. Although I plow with the quads, Iíd rather find one that wasnít used as a plow machine. I own a 1999 Quadmaster 500, a 2001 Quadrunner 500, and a 2006 Kingquad 700. They are all Suzukis I bought used. The 700 has EFI , others donít. I never have a problem starting any of them.

Do not buy into the Chinese ATVs, youíll regret it. Hondas and Canams are the top of the line. I had bad experiences with a Polaris, but maybe it was just a lemon.
joe8768 likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 11:21 AM

Have a 360 Kawasaki 2008 which has been used for hunting, scouting, some firewood hauling and some food plots. I keep it clean, perform regular maintenance and put on one new set of tires. It still starts good in all weather and has never failed me. The Kawasaki has been a good ride for me.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 03:39 PM

you can never go wrong with a honda
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 05:14 PM

i have an 08 polaris 500 with over 4000 hard miles on it still runs like a champ. alot of factors to consider when buying a used quad.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 07:33 PM

I just traded in a 2001 Honda Rubicon 500 cc that I bought in 2003 with 2200 miles on for $3800. The dealer gave $2000 towards a new 2018 Forman

Believe me I beat the crap out of that machine doing food plots, hauling deer and people, I once hauled out 3 deer and another person down off a power line at the same time. 2 deer where in the back basket, one was dragged with a rope and my buddy was sitting on top of the deer.

Life Member NRA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page