Mice inside the quad - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Mice inside the quad

I have an old 99 Polaris Xplorer and trying to figure out how mice are getting into the clutch housing. I plug the housing breather tube with a plumbing test plug . The air intake for carb is plugged as well as the exhaust pipe. . No holes or gaps in the housing cover. Last time at camp I removed the plugs ,started it up and a small amount of nesting material and a fresh mangled mouse came out of the clutch breather . When we left I tied a cotton ball soaked with peppermint oil on a string and dropped down inside the housing. Hoping that works.
Any idea where else they can access thru to the housing?

"Lazy people think of the easy way to do the hard stuff"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 04:13 PM
Banned

I would have no idea, but I had mice destroy an outboard engine that was stored in my lawn shed. I got it out for duck season about a week before the season and hooked up the gas line with the lower unit in a 5 gal bucket and tried to start it, it tried to start, ran for a short while and quit. I took off the cowling and found it completely full of mouse nest. some of it got sucked into the engine. It wasn't worth the price to get it fixed. I bought a new engine and stored it in my basement.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
I would have no idea, but I had mice destroy an outboard engine that was stored in my lawn shed. I got it out for duck season about a week before the season and hooked up the gas line with the lower unit in a 5 gal bucket and tried to start it, it tried to start, ran for a short while and quit. I took off the cowling and found it completely full of mouse nest. some of it got sucked into the engine. It wasn't worth the price to get it fixed. I bought a new engine and stored it in my basement.
Had mice in the cowling of my Mercury, fortunately nothing was chewed. I take the cowling off now when I park the boat for the winter. Mice want to be inside something to build a nest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 06:18 PM
Frequent Contributor

Dryer sheets.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Dryer sheets.
I put them in the Chevelles when I store them for the winter. I have never had any sign of them in either car. ( They can put a hurting on a headliner or bucket seat )
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 08:47 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbrownie View Post
I put them in the Chevelles when I store them for the winter. I have never had any sign of them in either car. ( They can put a hurting on a headliner or bucket seat )
I put them in all the drawers in my camper, seems to work.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 06:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to 59Willys
There is a inlet and outlet on Polaris cvt housing, Check to see if mice chewed a hole in it
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59Willys View Post
There is a inlet and outlet on Polaris cvt housing, Check to see if mice chewed a hole in it
There is an outlet on the left side, a snorkel is attached to the clutch housing. I remove the snorkel and use a test plug to block that. The last time I had the cover off I don't recall seeing an inlet hole anywhere. No holes chewed that I couild see. Would the inlet be on the right side under the access fender panels? going to google that.

"Lazy people think of the easy way to do the hard stuff"
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 08:58 AM

Send a message via AIM to 59Willys
Jag,Looking at the gas tank from riders position ,There are 2 intakes. The pipe on the back left side of the gas tank goes to the clutch cover as does the one on the side of the gas tank. One is inlet other is the exhaust for cooling the clutch, Hope this helps
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 02:42 PM
Part of the Community

I had problems with them getting into my Jeep that I kept up at the cabin. I put a couple of moth balls in a baggie and poked holes in the baggie and stuck them all over the engine compartment and on top of the tires and a few on the floor around the tires. Seemed to do the trick. Just try to keep track of the ones in the engine compartment.

It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page