Selling ATV without title? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Selling ATV without title?

Here’s the situation...my brother bought an old Honda from a friend who bought it from the oil company he worked for. (All parties involved are in the up and up and I can vouch for personally...ie, no worries it’s stolen) My brother bought it as a gift for my dad to get him out in the woods, but my dad really has no desire to use it. There was no bill of sale or title transfer from the company to the first owner or from the first owner to my brother. As it is simply taking up space, it would be nice to see it go. My question is if there is a way to sell it without a title, and while we’re at it, is there a legal way to be able to ride it without it being titled (farm use, private property, etc)?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 10:32 PM

You cannot sell an ATV or any motorized vehicle in Pa. with out a valid title. It is illegal ,your brothers friend purchased it illegally from the oil company....Although I would think an oil company would certainly have a title for it if they were to sell it, it would have had to have been registered for the company to get insurance on it to cover their butts incase of an accident while an employee was operating it...For all you know it could have been stolen? Check the serial numbers, and maybe get them checked out at the department of motor vehicles.....Good Luck....

If you don`t stand behind our Troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them....
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 11:39 PM
The Man

Find out if you can get a bill of sale.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 11:53 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickShot View Post
Although I would think an oil company would certainly have a title for it if they were to sell it, it would have had to have been registered for the company to get insurance on it to cover their butts incase of an accident while an employee was operating it...For all you know it could have been stolen? Check the serial numbers, and maybe get them checked out at the department of motor vehicles.....Good Luck....
PA does not require ATVs owned by out of state businesses and used exclusively for business or ag purposes to be titled or registered.

I would think the business would want to insure the ATV and these would be required for said insurance, but after years of being in business, nothing surprises me when it comes to companies not taking care of little things like having proper insurance on their equipment.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 09:40 AM
DDX
Frequent Contributor

You basically have to sell it as a "farm bike". Not illegal to sell but the buyer will never be able to register it so they usually bring a lot less money. The big consignment sale at the Greene Co Fairgrounds this weekend sold dozens of ATV/UTV's without titles. Have the State Police run the VIN if you are worried it was stolen.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 10:14 AM
The Man

I forgot all about that sale DDX.Was there a big crowd and a lot of stuff?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 10:31 AM
DDX
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by good ole boy View Post
I forgot all about that sale DDX.Was there a big crowd and a lot of stuff?

Yes, big crowd. Like usual, 90% of the stuff was someone's junk. Couple good things.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 05:45 PM

The used ones on Marketplace I've looked at are mostly listed as "bill of sale", hardly any are "with title". A lot of them are New York state also? If youu have a bill of sale from another state can you title them in Pa.?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info guys! Listed for sale now, so we’ll see how it goes!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 09:39 PM

have your brother check with the oil company , maybe they have it or could get a copy or an original for you

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page