UTV oil change every other year? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By good ole boy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

UTV oil change every other year?

Anyone ever change their oil every other year? Or is this a real bad idea. I do about 250 miles a year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 12:01 PM

Bad idea. I was told min of every year or every 500 miles. For the 40 bucks it's not worth the risk.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 12:04 PM
Banned

This will be my first year and I haven't really put enough time on the ATV to require an oil change, but I am going to change the oil and filter anyhow. Changing oil is a cheap way to keep your machine in good condition, especially on the air cooled 4 stroke engines. If you drove where there is a lot of dust or sand an oil change is good insurance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 12:29 PM
The Man

Plus it also depends if you run it long enough to burn off the moisture and condensation.If you have a lot of short hops you would need to increase your change interval.
Dogface and Woods walker like this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 12:42 PM
Banned

Very good point.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 01:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by good ole boy View Post
Plus it also depends if you run it long enough to burn off the moisture and condensation.If you have a lot of short hops you would need to increase your change interval.
i service forklifts for a living and short trips are engine killers. I have several customers that average less than 10hours in 6 months. That is ok if it is used twice a month for an hour each time but used every day for 5 minutes is very bad. The oil will drain out looking like heavily creamed coffee. It will be thick, very similar to what oil from an engine with head gasket failure looks like. Over time the bottoms of the cylinders will pit along with accelerated wear on the bearings. I can only imagine what that condensation would do to the wet clutch/transmission of the average atv.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 10:23 PM

I agree with every year ,that way you can keep an eye on it and inspect your utv or atv other mechanical parts for wear and tear
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 12:14 AM

Look on Amazon and EBay for good deals on oil filters. I have 4 Suzukiís that all use the same Fram 6018 filter. I buy them in an 8-pack for about 1/2 price one would pay to buy them at Walmart. One side note, Iíve used regular 10-30 weight automotive oil for 20 years in these quads. The oldest is 20 years old. Collectively they have 38,000 miles. The specs call for using motorcycle type oil for wet clutches , but these machines have run fine on the Rural King $1.59 a quart stuff.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page