Back To Top
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Butler / Moshannon Pa
I have 4 quads.....a 400, 2-500s,and a 700. All Suzukiís. In answer to your question, yes, a 250 2 wheel drive will get by, for the most part. I use my 400 for trapping. Steep country, snow and mud. I get by 95 % of the time in 2 wheel drive. The problem is the other 5%. All my quads have winches, and they would get a work out without having 4 wheel drive. And then there are times you put them to the test...in the 2014 bear season, the 400 hauled me and my son (500#) and a 240# bear on the front rack straight up out of a deep hollow. Weíve had 400 lb bears on the 500 cc. We strap two big coolers on the quads to stock trout...thatís a lot of weight. I use the 700 at camp to cut firewood, it pulls a sled with over 500# of wood. Three of my quads are set up with snowplows...you need power, weight, and 4 wheel drive for plowing.
If youíre sticking to mild terrain, without snow, and donít plan to put a load on or behind it, a 250 will work fine. But if you want to do any serious work with it, itíll leave you wishing for a bigger machine.