What is a good size atv - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

What is a good size atv

Bought my 13 yr old son a used 2006 Bombardier rally2x so far it seems like a decent machine I think its a 220. Anyway I'm 6'2" 230 pounds and it doesn't seem small to me and hauls me around on flat ground pretty well . My question is looking at used stuff for me I noticed 250s are a lot cheaper then bigger atvs , would a 250 have enough engine to get a guy my size around on the atv trail in Potter and some of the leases that allow atv use on old log rds ? Want to stay as affordable as possible and small enough to put one in the truck bed and one on 4x8 trailer.But also I don't want to get something that isn't capable of doing some hills on trails , New to atvs so thanks for any advice you seasoned guys have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 09:00 AM
Frequent Contributor

I weigh 190 pounds and had a Timberwolf 250 several years ago. I rode with guys on 400's and it went everywhere they went. Just a lot slower. The good part about not having a lot of power was it kept me from attempting things I didn't need to do. I think the only problem I had was it didn't like to go up steep ramps and haul heavy loads. And because of the lack of power I probably overworked the automatic clutch prematurely wearing the machine.

Best suggestion I can make is ride your sons 220 on some of the trails you want to ride. It will probably take you everywhere but see how the engine runs. If the engine is running normal but the machine slows down it's slipping the clutch. If it slips the clutch a lot to make it up hills or go through mud you would be better off with a bigger quad to avoid clutch problems.

You can also save money by buying a 2 wheel drive. A 2 wheel drive will go just about anywhere, just may take a little more effort on some obstacles where a 4 wheel drive will just walk over them. 2 wheel drives also have less parts to wear out but harder to sell when you decide to upgrade.

If you plan on hauling anything or using a drag or disc I would look at 400 cc and above. I have a rancher 450 and it struggles to pull my disc. Good luck with your decision.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 09:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to 59Willys
350 or bigger, 4x4 for sure, Good Name brand machine, You can tell if a person took care of it, Like a car look it over real good, Plan on paying $2000 or more for a nice used one..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 09:24 AM

I have 4 quads.....a 400, 2-500s,and a 700. All Suzukiís. In answer to your question, yes, a 250 2 wheel drive will get by, for the most part. I use my 400 for trapping. Steep country, snow and mud. I get by 95 % of the time in 2 wheel drive. The problem is the other 5%. All my quads have winches, and they would get a work out without having 4 wheel drive. And then there are times you put them to the test...in the 2014 bear season, the 400 hauled me and my son (500#) and a 240# bear on the front rack straight up out of a deep hollow. Weíve had 400 lb bears on the 500 cc. We strap two big coolers on the quads to stock trout...thatís a lot of weight. I use the 700 at camp to cut firewood, it pulls a sled with over 500# of wood. Three of my quads are set up with snowplows...you need power, weight, and 4 wheel drive for plowing.

If youíre sticking to mild terrain, without snow, and donít plan to put a load on or behind it, a 250 will work fine. But if you want to do any serious work with it, itíll leave you wishing for a bigger machine.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 10:01 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I would get at least a 400-450 4x4 with 4x4 on demand. and a 5 speed, not a auto as they use more fuel. I have two atv,s, a yami beartracker 2 wheel drive that's fine on level and small hills for loofing around and a Polaris 500 auto 4x4 on demand that I wish was a 400-450 five speed as it would be smaller for tight trails and easier on fuel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN9938 (2).JPG (1.14 MB, 2 views)
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 10:21 AM
Banned

This is a 2008 Kawasaki 360, it is 400 cc 4wd. I bought it used for 4 grand. I had the shop where I bought it put the warn winch on it before I picked it up. I then put the cargo carriers on front and back. I took my deer out last year in the front basket. It took me a while to find a good used one at a decent price but I lucked out on this one. It will do anything I want to do with it.

eastbank likes this.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 10:24 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

that's what I,m talking about. is it a 5 speed?
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 10:28 AM
Frequent Contributor

When we first started riding atv's back in mid 90's all we bought were honda recon 250's. We ran the snot out of them and they did just fine around the hills of tioga county. Some of our guys were close to 300 lbs and no problems. Obviously, can't go where a 4x4 can and such but for trail riding, they fit the bill great. We are still riding some from the early 2000's, others we traded in. Couple nice things, they fit in bed of pickup nicely and if you do get stuck going over a log, they are light enough to pick up and move around. If you do not need the capability of a 4x4 machine and are just trail riding, I would have no problem getting a recon 250. Matter of fact, I just bought a used one and forgot how much fun it is to ride that thing after riding bigger 4x4's last 15 years. Good luck in your decision.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 10:52 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I like 500's myself. I've owned 700's, but they are a bit harder to maneuver in the woods. You can get around good on 500's and have plenty of power to put them to work.

I see said the Blind Carpenter to his Deaf Helper as he picked up his Hammer and Saw!
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 10:52 AM
Frequent Contributor

From riding in my younger days, here are my thoughts. The 250's are plenty big for riding. I am amazed at how big they have made the engines now. I will say, if you plan on going in snow, a 4wd is a must. I remember too many days it seemed like I pushed the 2wd more in snow than I spent riding it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page