Annual maintenance - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Annual maintenance

What do I really need besides an oI値l change each year. Every other year I take it to the dealership to get it checked over, oil change, differential fluid changed and joints lubricated. But even if I take it back just for an oil change to the dealership, they charge an arm and a leg just to do that. I am looking to do that myself and I just was wondering if there is anything else that needs to be checked on an annual basis. I drive about 250 miles per year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 09:07 PM
The Man

All the recommended checks should be in the manual. I change the oil and lube as directed. Another area to check would belt adjustments if you have a belt. You'll find the recommended oil at Walmart and I buy filters in bulk at Amazon.

I change the plugs every couple of years. BTW I use Sea Foam in the gas. It keeps the carb or injectors clean. I also use Stabile in the gas.

I do all my own work. I have never taken one back to the dealer for service. It is not hard.

BTW the first on I bought was a Suzuki LT-230 in 1984. I gave it to a friend and he is still riding it.

There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 09:09 PM
The Man

BTW YouTube is your friend. If you need to do something to your ATV you will probably find instructions on YouTube.

There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotjjc3 View Post
What do I really need besides an oI値l change each year. Every other year I take it to the dealership to get it checked over, oil change, differential fluid changed and joints lubricated. But even if I take it back just for an oil change to the dealership, they charge an arm and a leg just to do that. I am looking to do that myself and I just was wondering if there is anything else that needs to be checked on an annual basis. I drive about 250 miles per year.
I do pretty much the same as you... My Kawasaki is almost 11 years old...Starts and run great cold weather. I use Lucas oil for gas treatment now and then.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 12:33 PM
dce
Sage

Don't neglect the air filter.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 01:18 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Depending on the type of use (trail riding, tooling around the house, dragging food plot equipment...) would dictate how often to change your oil, Id suggest doing it twice a year. Everyone else already gave some other good suggestions.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 05:52 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dce View Post
Don't neglect the air filter.
Also shop vac all of the crud out of the airbox while you have the filter out.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 06:43 PM

If I知 not gonna use them for plowing snow I always plug them into a low amp battery tender. At this time when I service them I get them off the ground and check wheel bearing tightness.

Not really a servicing item, but now would be a great time to replace a torn or worn seat cover. The replacement covers are about $40-45, easy to install, and your seat will look like new again. Change them before you start loosing chunks of foam cushion.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 08:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to 59Willys
WD-40 all your cables, choke, throttle,brakes anything that has or looks like a spring! Pull the tires once a year,clean all the mud and dirt out adjust your brakes . My rancher has all drums and the wheel cylinders always need clean and lube. Just look and tug to see if anything is loose or bent. I try to do all the work myself. except last year I had swing arm bearing went bad and the tool to remove it cost 80 bucks. Cost me 140 to have it done. Not sure what atv you have ? make sure the oil you use is also for a wet clutch transmission if not belt driven.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 08:41 PM

59 Willy痴 is right about the WD-40. The WD is short for water displacement. Not only does it lubricate the inside of the cable and prevent rust, it値l also get rid of any water that finds its way into the cable. I had a quad this year that had a throttle cable sticking when the temps were low. It had ice forming inside. Removed the throttle, and sprayed a bunch of WD-40 into the cable jacket. Never stuck after that. I did the same with an ignition switch that iced up overnight...wouldn稚 allow you to insert the key. Fixed that also.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page