Any Dual Sport Riders Here? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Any Dual Sport Riders Here?

I have been riding my little dual sport around the State Forest trails. Last weekend I had a good time at Bald Eagle S.F. Anyone else trail riding with a dual sport?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 07:08 PM

Dual sport? you mean legalized dirt bikes
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 08:52 AM
Frequent Contributor

Springer Rage - What kind of dual sport do you have and how do you like it?

I've considered selling my mx bike and getting a dual sport. Just not sure what to get. The KTM's seem better for off road riding but are pricey. A 250 seems better for woods riding but probably down on power for road riding. The 400's seem like the best compromise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 09:00 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

For the ANF roads I ride a Honda Ruckus and my brother has a Honda Grom. Nice for riding back roads. No need for high speeds.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 10:27 AM

I've thought about it for many years . Outdoorsman points to the only dilemma for those of us that would have to travel any distance before getting to the state forest roads . Too big is tough on trails . Too small is tough on the highways getting there . My final decision would be to get the smaller & lighter cc bike and get it to the forest in the bed of my truck or trailer . Since the weather has been dicy since spring , the truck would be good for getting out of the rain when it comes . The vehicle would also be more comfortable for the long ride back home after a long day exploring back forest roads . Not to mention , safer . Deer wondering on to roads in the evening and bikes don't mix well . I've had to many close calls over the years to chance deer on a bike after dark .

My ideal set up ? I'm 5' 11" with a 32 inseam , so the larger KLR 650 or the COOL FACTOR BMWs are to tall for my comfort on possibly greasy mud roads . So I personally , for a flat footed stance would choose a 250 cc for easy manueverability . Tank bag for map , GPS , phone , camera and things in need of easy reach . Small duffle on back for rain suit and helmet face shield for rain ( I wear glasses ) , bike specific emergency repair tools and lunch or snacks . Duffle is also good for shedding that extra coat when the day warms up . But this is my personal ideal set up . Let's hear what you think and why .
Bates likes this.

Last edited by 4x4dad; 07-13-2017 at 10:59 AM.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I prefer trails and country roads. I am a mellow rider and have a slow and small DR200. Despite its size, I have a lot of fun on it. I am looking to upgrade to a WR250R or a DR-Z400S if I stumble into some money. Those KTMs are awesome but out of my price range and not really suited to my preferences (slower and lower maintenance).
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 12:51 AM

A buddy of mine had the DR200 . That would be perfect for exploring forest roads ! Definitely not something I would want for anything beyond secondary roads though . Besides , asphalt would eat knobby tires pretty quick .
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 10:23 AM
Sage

I have A DRZ 400. Honestly, I bought it when my level of motorcycling was reduced, by family concerns, to riding back and forth to work. I ride 99.9% of the time on paved roads and I've even put street tires on the bike because my access to trails is very limited. The gas mileage is great and the machine is light and nimble. My caveat to that is that my previous two bikes were Harleys, so what might seem light and nimble to me might still be a lot more to others. This machine is tall. I'm six feet and have a 34 inch inseam and I cannot touch flat footed on both sides at the same time. It also struggles to keep up on the highways. I don't know what the maximum speed is, but at 75, it is screaming. On the big roads, it feels like it needs one more gear. Around town it is ideal. It is liquid cooled which meshes perfectly with the traffic-light-on-every-block layout of where I live. What little trail riding I've done makes me think it would be pretty good for that too, tho it would probably be best to stick to dirt roads and pasture edges and avoid gullies and real steep narrow trails. Sitting on the seat is like sitting on a brick and I don't recommend this bike for cruising. The gearing of the bike proves that Suzuki didn't ignore the dirt side of "dual" sport. All in all, it's pretty good for what it is designed for and if you avoid the interstate and motocross racing or technical trails, and you were fairly tall, you would be alright with it.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 11:43 AM
Frequent Contributor

Some great information on dual sport riding.

I've always preferred to ride in the dirt but it's difficult to find local legal places to ride. Most legal places around me are mx tracks. But I have no desire to do the big jumps so I feel like I'm constantly looking behind me so no one lands on me. Riding around those back roads and exploring the state forest roads looks like a lot of fun. Do you have many issues with cars on the back roads?
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 12:12 PM
The Man

Recently picked up a TW200. Was looking for something bigger, but the salesperson (who also owned one) talked me into a test ride. Fell in love and never looked back. Not the fastest bike, but it's short, comfortable and VERY stable on/off road. Big fat tire in the back. Both feet flat whenever you want. Comfortable seat, wider than most other dual sports. Stops on a dime. I wouldn't take it on a 4 lane, but have no trouble keeping up with traffic anywhere else. No vibration at top speed of 70. If you're looking, I recommend checking one out. Fun little bike.

William will you teach me how to write, Cassius will you show me how to fight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page