Any Dual Sport Riders Here? - Page 4 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 08:33 AM
The Man

Still riding, but slower and less often.

If you're taking these fellas on the street, be mindful that they're hard to see and people love to pull out in front of you. If I'm approaching a car at an intersecting road, I've learned to swerve a little and flick the lights to make sure they see me.

"There are old bikers and there are bold bikers, but there are no old, bold bikers."
John-PA likes this.

William will you teach me how to write, Cassius will you show me how to fight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 08:51 AM
Frequent Contributor

I have a Suzuki DR650. Bought new in 2014. Drive mostly on the paved rural roads around my house or thru a few big fields or old woods roads. Do not drive it in the rain or in mud.

Been a great bike with no mechanical issues. Will do over 100 mph, and has plenty of power. A lot of fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1687.jpg (112.6 KB, 6 views)
loridr and John-PA like this.
post #33 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 09:05 AM

Send a message via AIM to 59Willys
I don't ride the streets anymore but occasionally I hit the trails with my old Bultaco if it feels like starting.
John-PA likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 05:59 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Riding dual sport since about 1970, called them either enduros or on/off roads back then. Now they are either dual sport or adventure bikes. Have a bmw 650 single now, similar to the klr's and dr's but water cooled. Ride it all over north america, with this bike ridden in about 29 states, 10 provinces, and Baja in Mexico. Considering other bikes rode 49 states (no Hawaii) and 12 of the 13 provinces (no Nunavut).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP2988.JPG (226.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP2979.JPG (309.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP2977.JPG (358.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg imgp2774.jpg (218.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP2773.jpg (274.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP2746a.jpg (382.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP2528.JPG (261.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP2521.jpg (157.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP2436.JPG (443.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP2351.JPG (293.6 KB, 6 views)
loridr, John-PA, Bates and 1 others like this.

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
post #35 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 05:46 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundragriz View Post
Riding dual sport since about 1970, called them either enduros or on/off roads back then. Now they are either dual sport or adventure bikes. Have a bmw 650 single now, similar to the klr's and dr's but water cooled. Ride it all over north america, with this bike ridden in about 29 states, 10 provinces, and Baja in Mexico. Considering other bikes rode 49 states (no Hawaii) and 12 of the 13 provinces (no Nunavut).

Trip to Prudhoe on my bucket list. I ride a 2013 Yamaha XT1200Z Super Tenere'. Big bike and a beast on the highway. I put a lot of miles on it. Comfortable on any style highway and more capable in the dirt than I am, so two tracks are my limit. Have a Goldwing too but that's for colder weather and when wife wants to tour. Adirondacks this weekend on the Tenere'.

I envy you. Did you do these trips alone? 99% of my riding is alone cause I can't find anyone crazy enough to ride ten or twelve hours a day. I had a 2005 F650GS for a while and a 2016 KLR. Been riding some sort of dual purpose (Yamaha enduros and eventually any make of thumper) 50 plus years and this Yamaha is easily the most fun bike I ever owned. Looking forward to retirement soon so I can start racking up more adventures.
loridr likes this.

Intelligence without wisdom is Modern Society............
post #36 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 12:54 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yes I was alone and all of the pics above are from a single trip. Trip was 18,700 miles with about 2300 on dirt, 6 weeks 1 day. Top 3 pics are on the Dempster highway through Yukon and Northwest Territory up to Inuvik at the arctic ocean, roundtrip about 1000 miles of dirt. Next 3 are on the Dalton (Haul Road) in Alaska to Deadhorse on Prudhoe Bay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg route total.JPG (127.8 KB, 4 views)
loridr and lynxone like this.

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
post #37 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynxone View Post
99% of my riding is alone cause I can't find anyone crazy enough to ride ten or twelve hours a day.
I occasionally ride with a group out of Wheeling called Hoagy's Heroes. Check out their website and join us for ride sometime... I bet you'll find a crazy or two to ride with there.
lynxone likes this.

"Well boy, you ain't gonna git nothin' layin' in that bed." ~My ol' man
post #38 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 04:00 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Yes I was alone and all of the pics above are from a single trip. Trip was 18,700 miles with about 2300 on dirt, 6 weeks 1 day. Top 3 pics are on the Dempster highway through Yukon and Northwest Territory up to Inuvik at the arctic ocean, roundtrip about 1000 miles of dirt. Next 3 are on the Dalton (Haul Road) in Alaska to Deadhorse on Prudhoe Bay.
Average 435 miles a day! What an epic trip. I see something similar in my future.

Did you camp most of the trip?

Intelligence without wisdom is Modern Society............
post #39 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 01:46 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Congrats on your accomplishments. I only made it to Arctic Circle on my dual sport but didn't push my luck to Prudhoe

I am getting the bug to travel to Invuk and also Newfoundland, I have been to Novia Scotia on the Cabot trail but didn't have time to go any further. I have heard Route 138 to Kegashka is scenic but when you reach Kegashka the ferries don't directly run over to Newfoundland which I would love to make it a big circle. I might have to ferry hop to get me where I wanna go. And I am going to add an adventure bike to my stable soon for at least the trip to Invuk.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg arctic circle.jpg (89.3 KB, 2 views)
loridr likes this.
post #40 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-03-2020, 10:17 PM
Regular Visitor

You guys have much larger bikes than I, but here's a picture of my 2005 Yamaha TW200. I trailer it to my cabin in the summer and ride state forest roads. It's not good on the highway as it's screaming pretty good at 55 mph, but it's perfect for the state forest roads. I could change the sprockets and get more top end, but then I'd miss my low 1st gear when I go off road on steep trails. Also, the 31" seat height is great for me since I'm only 5'8".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TW200.jpg (599.5 KB, 3 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page