Keeping critters out of quad - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Keeping critters out of quad

Well the mice found their way into the clutch housing of the quad at camp. Sitting for 4 months. Packed it so tight ,motor wouldn't turn over.Took clutch housing off and pulled out nesting material, pee and poo. Smelled like a cat litter box. Started to get into the intake of the air filter. Cleaned it all out and plugged access temporarily. Also put a box of moth balls up under the motor.
Would the mothballs work? What else can you do? Going to make some wood plugs to put in access holes between uses.

"Lazy people think of the easy way to do the hard stuff"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 06:44 PM

Mothballs don't keep critters from chewing wires on cars and trucks.I have fixed vehicle wiring with mothballs under the hood.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 07:54 PM

I had trouble also. The little bastages got in my atv battery compartment and chewed off some wires. I put some moth balls in there, and think that it helps, because it is a confined space. I haven't tried it but have read where peppermint oil works. Soak cottonballs and place them in there. Im gonna try it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:21 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

We keep the shed at camp stocked with the Decon (or similar) cubes. You can use a scrap 2x4 or similar and screw a couple of the cubes to the board (they have a hole in the middle) to keep them from moving it or stashing it elsewhere. We have found that the shed also seemed to the precursor to mice getting into the cabin....so keeping it stocked with the poison cubes has helped both in the shed and in the cabin.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 09:54 AM
Sage

I had mice chew through a battery casing on my quad. I loaded the shed up with moth balls before winter, but still found a dead mouse in one of the traps. I'm gonna keep trying and maybe give that peppermint oil a shot. Or the poison pellets.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 10:00 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danesdad View Post
I had mice chew through a battery casing on my quad. I loaded the shed up with moth balls before winter, but still found a dead mouse in one of the traps. I'm gonna keep trying and maybe give that peppermint oil a shot. Or the poison pellets.
Just a fair warning with the poison pellets....the mice gather them up and stash them in random locations for you to find at some point down the road.

We switched to the cubes so the mice have to chew some off at the spot, as opposed to carrying them off and creating a stockpile. We use the supplied containers, and we screw the cubes onto a piece of wood to keep them in place.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 10:06 AM
Frequent Contributor

I think the moth ball are irritating to their eyes and nose so they dont stay around,....and will not move them.

I have had great luck with a box or 2 of moth balls to keep them away from snowmobiles...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 10:39 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Cubes work good in winter. I throw a black rat snake in the shed in the summer. Only problem with that is I have to open the shed door slowly so it doesn't scare the crap out of me.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

We also used the cube bait in camper. Problem is it was an attractant. Mice die eating bait but leave pee scent trail and others follow, cr*p everywhere.. We switched to a 5 gallon bucket with spinner can on rod across the top with peanut butter ,couple inches of water and anti freeze.. 1 in camper and 1 in shed. hardly any poop in the camper but over a dozen dead mice in bucket. Same in shed. Will try peppermint oil.

"Lazy people think of the easy way to do the hard stuff"
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 09:40 PM
Sage

I saw that spinner and bucket trap on a video. The trap that keeps on killing!

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page