Argos? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Argos?

What is your opinion of Argos? I have property that has wet ground and steep hills,if I would add tracks could I still get around? Deep snow at times also. If you have a buddy that has one I'd like to talk to him. I'm 63 so speed is not what I'm looking for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 12:18 PM
Frequent Contributor

I had a max 6 wheeler a few years back. My property is similar to yours with steep hills but I have a good size creek bordering my property. Ended up selling it because it never ended up fitting my needs.

the bad
1. It was under powered because it would run out of power on steep hills; I did have the smallest motor available so maybe a bigger motor would have helped.
2. The ride is rough at any speed. With no suspension except for the tires it gets old fast; I did play with air pressure but never changed the ride dramatically. I hear the new argos have a new tire/rim combo that improves the ride.
3. It doesn't do good in moving water. After you started floating you were at the mercy of the current.
4. Top speed bothered me because it just takes you that much longer to get somewhere.

the good
1. It was very stable in any situation I encountered.
2. On the level it would roll over saplings like no ones business which was nice because you could make your own path.

It was fun at first but it never did anything great so I ended up going back to a quad.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 06:43 PM

I moose hunted Newfoundland 10 times. The place is full of water...bogs, streams and lakes. Argos were tailor made for that kind of terrain. Quads or UTVs would be buried instantly. An Argo floats across that soft ground. On three occasions we hauled out 2 bull moose, in addition to two hunters and a guide. We hunted with the 8 wheeled version. The bad....they're over priced, noisy, and slow. The weak link on an Argo is the transmission. They're under built and pricey to repair/replace. I loved them for moose hunting, but wouldn't own one in Pa.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 08:01 PM
The Man

,Good info cause I too kicked the idea around about getting one.But the price always chased me away.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

They are pricy, I'm just amazed what they will do with tracks. I am just starting to look for a used one now. This might take a while.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 11:30 PM
The Man

I see ads for a dealer named Leo,s all the time.I think they sell Rokons too.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 11:13 AM
Frequent Contributor

I bought mine used from a Max dealer but I don't think he sells them anymore. I had less than $3,500 in mine. I sold it to a guy from Kentucky or Tennessee which didn't take me long to sell. They pop up on craigslist so keep an eye out.

Something you may want to consider is the canam outlander 6x6 I believe you can put tracks on the rear tires if needed. Priced right around what a Argo would run you.

Outlander 6x6 DPS | Can-Am
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 08:17 PM
The Man

Maybe so but they can,t swim.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 11:22 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by good ole boy View Post
Maybe so but they can,t swim.
You are right an atv won't float but he doesn't need something that will. He mentioned he had wet ground. Also these argos/maxs still take on water, mine had a drain plug that I would have to use after being in the water. If you didn't drain the water out it just stayed at the bottom of the buggy where all the chains and bearings were.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 07:34 PM

My buddy has an 8 wheel Argo at his camp. They are fun to play on and will go through and over most anything but as others have said, they beat you up and they are slow and loud.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page